Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Add to Lookup" Problem in ACT! Premium 2011

Copper Elite Contributor

"Add to Lookup" Problem in ACT! Premium 2011

I had a complex lookup I was doing the other day and figured the easiest way to do it was to Lookup Contacts, and then use Options to "Add to Lookup" for the current lookup.

However, in the process of doing this, the dropdown for "Add to Lookup" disappeared and the only option was "Replace Lookup," which wiped out everything I'd done so far.

Can someone tell me why the dropdown stopped working and if there's a way to fix it? 

Thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "Add to Lookup" Problem in ACT! Premium 2011

Add to lookup or narrow lookup only is available when the lookup started from an actual query. A lookup created from a list view can't be chained using ao to or narrow lookup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

Is there a way to chain lookups together to create a complex lookup?

You need to start with a valid query. If you're stating from something like a tagged lookup from a list view, you could use Edit | Replace to put a known value in an unused field and then do a query on that field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello MadDog,
The best way to create a complex lookup is to use an Advanced Query. From the menu, go to Lookup > Advanced > Advanced Query. These queries can be saved and retained for later use. As Roy said, you can only used graduated lookups if you first start with a manual lookup.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

I started with a manual lookup. I did about 4, each time using "Add to lookup," but then suddenly, the dropdown stopped working and "Replace Lookup" was the only choice, negating what I'd just done.

What I'm wondering is WHY the dropdown stopped working, and how I can prevent that in the future.

[ Edited ]

This would happen you if changed the type of record in the Lookup dialog box. For example, if the first 3 you did were looking for Contacts, then the fourth you changed to Companies or Groups fields (in the "Search for" dropdown), this would "break the chain", since lookups can only be linked when accessing the same record-type table.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

I'm pretty sure I kept the type of record as Contacts. I was trying to generate a lookup to do a Mail Merge, and I'm going to need to do more of these in 2011, so I'd like to know how best to do this.

The lookup criteria was disconnected and an advanced query wouldn't do the trick.

I finally gave up when I did this last week and it manually for each one, which was a drag.