Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Act! Has encountered an error, please shut down application" when I click Companies after latest v16 update

"Act! Has encountered an error, please shut down application" when I click Companies after latest v16 update

Every time I click "Companies" this alert comes up.  tried reinstallting .net, rebooting, doing a database repair, nothing has fixed the issue - any ideas?  It says Im running the latest version when I go to update it again.

Act! Pro Version 16.2.14.0, Hot Fix 5

.NET 4.5

running a Windows 2008 server, 64 bit with 8GB of  RAM.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: "Act! Has encountered an error, please shut down application" when I click Companies after latest v16 update

Check to see what fields you are sorting companies on.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Re: "Act! Has encountered an error, please shut down application" when I click Companies after latest v16 update

We are sorting Companies by "Company" 

When I moved from Detail View to List View for Companies, it no longer gives the error if I click on Companies.

Now, any time I try to open the detail for a company, it gies me the "Act! Has encountered an error, please shut down application" error. So the issues appears to be directly related to the Detail View of Companies.

Any ideas about what causes that?   We upgraded to the lastest version of v16 because there were issues with inserting notes, which was giving an error, but now we are getting this new one.

When I try to reset the toolbar and layout settings with the directions below (as this issue seems similar to one in Sage Act 2010 that returned the same error) I get a "Failed to get entities" error.

You can resolve this issue by resetting your menu and toolbars back to default settings by by performing the Reset Menu and Toolbars command, by clicking on the Tools menu option and selecting the command from under the Customize submenu.

I also updated the server to Act! Pro Version 16.3.11.0, Hot Fix 5, which should be the latest from the web site, and I am still having the same issue.  Anyone have any ideas?  Does this require a complete database rebuild at this point?

The problem boils down to this, viewing companies in Detail View throws the "Act! Has encountered an error, please shut down application"  error.  So we cant see any of the Commpanies detail.  This is a really crummy problem for such a mature application to have.  Anyone have any ideas before I have to throw in the towel and pay for a support call?

Silver Super Contributor

It may just be a layout file issue.  I would try replacing the company layout file with the one in the actdemo database and see if that fixes it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Is there a good walk through of that somewhere?  I will definitely try that as well.

Silver Super Contributor

Not that I know of.  Just look for the file named "Basic Company Layout - 1024x768.aly" or "Basic Company Layout - 800x600.aly" in the xxx-database files folder and then in the layout folder and replace them with the ones in the Act2014Demo-database files\layout folder.  If you customized your Company layout this will remove all of your customizations but it might get you back in the Company detail screen.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com