Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"ACT! has encountered an error. Please shut down the application." ACT 2009 (V 11.0)

"ACT! has encountered an error. Please shut down the application." ACT 2009 (V 11.0)

For no apparent reason, when I tried to open ACT this morning, I received the error message, "ACT! has encountered and error.  Please shut down the application."  The CONTACT DETAIL screen appears when I try to open the prorgram, but this message appears and all I can do is close the program.  It is totally unusable.   I have not installed any new applications or updates recently.  This appears to be a random error caused by nothing I have done.  I cannot find any reference to this specific error in the community discussions.   Any thought on how I might fix this?  Thanks.

Paul Moss

Paul Moss

Re: "ACT! has encountered an error. Please shut down the application." ACT 2009 (V 11.0)

I have a client this has just started happening to today as well.  I note that his version is Act 2006

I am quite sure it is a .NET issue, and possibly related to the Hotfix (KB954550-v5).

I have done various things to repair it with no luck including:

- Installed .NET 3.5: same

- Restored the computer to a time before the hotfix mentioned above was installed: same

- Although I wonder now if .NET is completely corrupt, as after the restore, things were really screwy until I finally reinstalled .NET 1.1 and I am back to the original problem

- Tried opening a backup of the database from days ago: same

- Tried stopping and starting the ACT SQL server: same

- Even tried installing .NET 2.0: same

I am having no luck here.

Lawrence

Re: "ACT! has encountered an error. Please shut down the application." ACT 2009 (V 11.0)

Thank you Lawrence.   The mystery continues because my ACT application started working again suddenly for no apparent reason.   Have you found ACT to be an unstable program?    I am sorry if you received an empty message earlier.   I mistakenly sent it.

Best,

Paul

Paul Moss

Re: "ACT! has encountered an error. Please shut down the application."

Hey Paul,

No, I think ACT is a great program, but like any program; it has it's issues.  

I have now also tried:

- Renamed non-Act installed files in Plug-Ins Folder: Same

- Disabled Antivirus Protection: Same

- Stopped Act service, and ran Actdiag (Act8diag for 2006), deleted preferences, reboot: WOOT!

Fixed.

Lawrence