01-31-2010 08:38 AM
For no apparent reason, when I tried to open ACT this morning, I received the error message, "ACT! has encountered and error. Please shut down the application." The CONTACT DETAIL screen appears when I try to open the prorgram, but this message appears and all I can do is close the program. It is totally unusable. I have not installed any new applications or updates recently. This appears to be a random error caused by nothing I have done. I cannot find any reference to this specific error in the community discussions. Any thought on how I might fix this? Thanks.
01-31-2010 03:16 PM
I have a client this has just started happening to today as well. I note that his version is Act 2006
I am quite sure it is a .NET issue, and possibly related to the Hotfix (KB954550-v5).
I have done various things to repair it with no luck including:
- Installed .NET 3.5: same
- Restored the computer to a time before the hotfix mentioned above was installed: same
- Although I wonder now if .NET is completely corrupt, as after the restore, things were really screwy until I finally reinstalled .NET 1.1 and I am back to the original problem
- Tried opening a backup of the database from days ago: same
- Tried stopping and starting the ACT SQL server: same
- Even tried installing .NET 2.0: same
I am having no luck here.
01-31-2010 03:32 PM
Thank you Lawrence. The mystery continues because my ACT application started working again suddenly for no apparent reason. Have you found ACT to be an unstable program? I am sorry if you received an empty message earlier. I mistakenly sent it.
01-31-2010 03:58 PM
No, I think ACT is a great program, but like any program; it has it's issues.
I have now also tried:
- Renamed non-Act installed files in Plug-Ins Folder: Same
- Disabled Antivirus Protection: Same
- Stopped Act service, and ran Actdiag (Act8diag for 2006), deleted preferences, reboot: WOOT!