Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"ACT has encountered a problem & needs to close. "

Copper Contributor

"ACT has encountered a problem & needs to close. "

I select "Close" then "Exit" & see the above msg every nite.  Is this something to worry about?  I'm not losing any data...

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: "ACT has encountered a problem & needs to close. "

Does this occur every time you close ACT!?  For example, if you open ACT! > move around in the database > close... does it still issue the error.  

Or does it only occur after the database has been opened for some extended time?

- What is your operating system?

- Do you have any ACT! add-ons?

- Do you synchronize ACT! with Outlook or Google?

If running Vista or Windows 7, try running ACT! with the 'Run as administrator' option.  To do this: close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run as administrator'. 

This should not affect the data in your database, but the error may be causing the update to the Preference files to fail.  So, you may see things like customized columns revert.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg,

Yes, it happens every time, even if I open ACT for only a minute or so.  It only happens to me, not to any other user.  Operating System is XP.  We don't synchronize currently, and the only ACT add-on we use is the ACT Attach to Outlook (which appears to be working fine).  Weird part is I've had A LOT of problems with my preferences not sticking & having to rebuild my Preferences file, but -- KNOCK ON WOOD -- no problems lately.  The problem appeared after I worked on a new design layout -- and I immediately deleted the new layout.  I'm just worried this problem is a sympton of something larger...! 

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

I recall the issues with your preferences, and my feeling is the 2 are connected.  You couldn't delete the preference folder because it was 'in use'... this message is occurring as ACT! is attempting to end and close out of/write to the preference files.  Since it only occurs on your machine, I don't believe this causes any data issues with your database. 

While the Outlook email attachment may be working correctly, there may be some 'problem' emails attempting to attach - keeping the service active (causing the error).  In the system tray (lower right hand corner of monitor), do you see an icon of an envelope with a red circle (x inside)?  If yes, double click on it and check the 'Not Attached Messages' tab.  If there are a lot of them, clear out the list.  It won't delete the original message, just remove it from the list.  See if that helps...

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg,

I did try clearing those "Not Attached Msgs" but that didn't do anything.  The Preferences file IS related as I found a workaround:  I go into Preferences, scroll thru the screens & options, & save.  I have to do that once a day or the problem returns.  I guess I probably need to rebuild my Preferences file...(I can do it if I delete the file vs rename it)...I need to make a backup copy of the file so I don't have to re-do all those options again!  (As a side note, I've got a really fantastic tracking system I put in place using Opportunities, and a specific column setup is required...Opportunities has incredible flexibility!) 

Back to the issue at hand...it's not a really urgent problem as long as no data is corrupted or missing, so I can live with it...