Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

problem accessing the database file on my server - I think this is the right place for this question

problem accessing the database file on my server - I think this is the right place for this question

We use Sage ACT! Premium 2013 Version 15.1.108.0.  My assistant's computer uses a database stored on our server.  When we try to log on to that database, it tells me that: "the database "data1" could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to diable any firewall software on your computer or server."

I can access the server and see the Data1.pad file and others.  I have no problem with the network orther than this.  I have disabled the firewall software on the computer and the server.  This does not solve the problem.

My laptop is set up to sync with this database and when I try to sync with it I get the message:  "unable to acquire sync server object.  Server Error Description:  Cannot open database "Data1" requested by the log in.  The log in failed.  Login failed for user "ACTADMIN".

Can anyone help with this?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: problem accessing the database file on my server - I think this is the right place for this question

Hello Baumlro,

Welcome to the ACT! Community!

Can you open the database while signed onto the server (not from a workstation)?

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: problem accessing the database file on my server - I think this is the right place for this question

No, we cant.  Rob Dunlop (our most techie guy here) is looking into that.  Any other comments as to what would be wrong?  It looks like all of the other advisors are able to access their databases on the server. 

Some extra information.  My assistant and I were gone for 2 weeks on holiday.  Both of our computers were turned off the whole time, and when we turn them back on we are faced with this.  I had a huge windows update yesterday that took over an hour to upload and install.  It changed screen settings and other aspects of my laptop.  I dont know if that has an effect on things either.

From your comments it appears you have multiple databases hosted on the same computer - since the other databases can be opened, that indicates that the installation of ACT! and SQL are intact, so the issue lies with your specific database.  If you can't open that database on the host machine, you won't be able to open it from another workstation or sync to it.  You need to address why it won't open on the host machine first. 

What happens when you attempt to open it on the host machine?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

We have three databases that reside on our Windows 2003 Server. We could open only two of the three databases from on the server.  Within ACTDIAG the database status was listed as RECOVERY_PENDING.

We tried taking action based on the following post:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Purge-Database-from-Act-Diag/m-p/235195/highlight/true#M64259

This did not help the situation. The old database information was renamed and then deleted but we were left with replacement  redundant database named Temp. The File Path indicated it was located in the same directory as the original database but there is no such database there.

After trying a second time we now have a second redundant database listed in ACTDIAG (Temp2). 

So I did a restore from a server backup and was able to access the database again. The remote database is now able to sync and things appear to be fine with one exception. We still have two redundant databases listed in ACTDIAG that we are unable to delete. 

When we select wither of these redundant databases ACTDIAG produces the following error messsage: Unable to Cast object of type 'System.NBNull' to type 'Systeme.String'. 

Capture.JPG

I hit ok twice and then the following error message appears:

Error Message.JPG

How do get rid of these two "Ghost" databases?

Thanks...rd

This message can appear when there are no files to be deleted. If the files do not exist, copy the ADF and ALF files from another database to the appropriate folder > rename them to match the database names. Restart the SQL Server (ACT7) server (or reboot the host computer) > then attempt to detach or delete the Temp databases through ACTDiag.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

That was helpful. Thanks Greg; the bogus databases are now removed. We still don't know what happened to cause this in the first place. As my colleague mentioned above, his office was closed for two weeks. ACT was working the day they left but not when they returned. 

I guess it's a mystery.... thank goodness for backups...rd