Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

password protect apfw site?

Tuned Listener

password protect apfw site?

I am wondering if it is possible to password protect internet access to act for web?

INO, going to http://mywebsite/apfw gets you right into our act login. There is a username and pwd, but is there any way to protect this better than that? Maybe this is more of a networking question than an act question...

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: password protect apfw site?

Protect from what? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Bronze Elite Contributor

Perhaps some explanation is useful:

If the concern is that people could use simple and hence insecure passwords, you could enforce a password policy through the normal procedure in Act! [Tools | Password Preferences], that is probably the simplist and is effective. You could as Mike suggest enforce Windows authentication, and hence have two layers of logon or perhaps people from only known IP addresses can gain access.

If the concern is about security of data (i.e. the bitstream) you could enable SSL and create/buy a certifcate. However APFW is quite safe as only the aspx pages are exposed, not folders.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the replies. I have a good password policy for the ACT users. A second level of pwd would be best. Is there a simple way to set this up on the IIS server. I am fairly good at networking, but I am not expert on IIS. I also don't want to break the apfw link that is working. Appreciate the help.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are many options to secure IIS ... and they depend on the network infrastrcture and OS,

Best to have these done by someone the experiance
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi,

we have a Hardware Firewall with Http proxy that protects our Act for web instances,

and with this you can make sure that non supported URL are not forwarded, and if needed, you can let your user auth him self via the Firewall, and only if he did this, he can then access the Act for Web Website.

if you want to know more, give me a call and i will be more then happy to explain more

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040