Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

part of the 2012 beta test, problem backing up before installing new version

part of the 2012 beta test, problem backing up before installing new version

before i down load the license version of 2012 premium act, it advised me to backup the data base. when i try to back up my data base i receive an error message. error message reads as follows.

cannot insert key row in object 'sys.syscommittab' with unique index'si_xdes_id'.

failed to flush the commit table to disk in dbid 21 due error 2601.

check the errorlog for more information.

PRC_MAINT_BACKUPDB:ERROR EXECUTING DATABASE BACKUP STATEMENT

the statement has been terminated

Copper Contributor

Re: part of the 2012 beta test, problem backing up before installing new version

The error is occurring due to a bug in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (R2). Microsoft has claimed to have fixed this in SP1 of SQL 2008 but unfortunately we were not able to include this as part of the release because it wasn't formally released until late July when product development for ACT! had completed.  The fix in SP1 would prevent this problem from occurring but it isn't corrective once a database is in this state. However, we do have a solution for you.

First go ahead uninstall the beta version via add/remove programs. Please do not uninstall SQL. Install the gold version of ACT!. But after install DO NOT start ACT! instead do the following:

Go to C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows

In the folder there are two files that will correct your problem  (The reason I tell you to install the gold version is these files did not exist in the beta)

• Express_BackupFix.bat
  • Standard_BackupFix.bat

One is for SQL Express, the other is for all other versions of SQL Server.  I'm assuming that you just installed ACT! and let the installer do it's thing and you are not an admin supporting  a 30+ installation and installed SQL Server Standard. That being the case you will use the Express_BackupFix.bat

After you locate the bat file for your version, perform these steps

• Close all apps, including ACT
  • Reboot your PC
  • On Windows Vista or Windows 7 right click on Express_BackupFix.bat and select 'Run As Administrator' a new DOS window will open
  • When asked, type in the name of the ‘problem’ database and press ENTER
  • When you see ‘Press any key to continue…’ press ENTER, which will close the command window
  • Restart ACT
  • Confirm that you can now backup the database

To prevent the problem from occurring again you can install SP1 of SQL 2008 through automatic windows updates or you can get a copy here It’s available at:  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26727

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Keith Saccuci
ACT! R&D
Tuned Listener

Re: part of the 2012 beta test, problem backing up before installing new version

I am having the same problem. I did as suggested and I am still getting the same messege. Please help, I am unable to back my database.

Thanks

Harry

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Harry,

Please see KB Article 28141 for instructions and batch files you can run for this error.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I am having a similar problem, but it happens when I try and sync.it happens on the remote database towards the end when it is checking for errors.  Do i use the same steps you suggested here?

Tuned Listener

I have done all of the above.  I am still getting the same error, is there something else to try.

Thanks

Harry

Tuned Listener

Before I did my "UPGRADE" I could do ACT 2012 backups.  Now that I have upgraded and kept current I am having problems. Ugh!  Will call ACT next week and see what I should do.  If I uninstall ACT won't I lose my data?

Platinum Super Contributor

David,

What is your error message when attempting a backup?  Did you try the steps in KB Article 28141?

The uninstall will not affect the data in your database.  The database is made up of an ADF, ALF, and PAD file, along with the 'databasename - database files' folder.

For safety, you can manually copy your database files/folder.  Use the following instructions to stop the SQL service and then copy the database files:

- close Sage ACT!

- click Windows Start button

- XP > select Run.  Vista/Win 7 > use Search field

- enter command 'services.msc' > press Enter key

- locate 'SQL Server (ACT7)' > right click > select Stop

- copy/paste the database files/folder to safe location

- start SQL service

- open database

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

I am having the same issue. I have tried all of the above and still cant back up. Please advise.

thanks,

Carlos