Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

overwriting existing documents in the documents tab

Copper Contributor

overwriting existing documents in the documents tab

I have this problem whereby I attach documents int he documents tab and then open them, modify them and when I go to save them it says "\\Server\"database name"\Attachments\"document name" is currently in use. Try again later.

My databse resides on a server and I open the documents on a client. SBS 2003 and win xp. Can anyone help me through this as I have to save teh document on the desktop, remove the older document from the databse and then attach the new one into the record. It would be much easier if it just overwrote the file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: overwriting existing documents in the documents tab

Hello Matthew,

How are you opening the document to edit it? By highlighting the file under the Documents tab and clicking Edit Document? Also, what version of ACT! are you using?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I am using ACT 2010 with all updates. I open the document by double clicking on it. I have since found that continually attempting to save it, it eventually allows you to save and overwrite. It takes about six times before it does it.

Matthew

We are having the same problem. We have approx. 25 users working off a server. Once in a blue moon, one of us can get an edited document to save. The rest of the time, we get the same "in use" message above.
Bronze Super Contributor

Although the document tab allows for "editing" a document, it's probably not the best idea. 

Remember:  ACT! is not intended to be a version control and document management system...

Copper Contributor

I understand that ACT is not a document manager but it should at least be able to do what it says it can do. The doucment managing is only rudimentary but one woudl expect it to work!