Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

not able to import a list of contacts into ACT!2012

Tuned Listener

not able to import a list of contacts into ACT!2012

I just tried to import a list of 2,500 contacts into an existing database and it does not bring up the import wizard: I select File/Import ........ and then NOTHING happens. 

I restarted the computer and tried again but still ...... nothing.

I created a new database and tried to import the list to that new database .......... and still nothing.

It has been maybe two months since the last time I imported a list.

• Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 2
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Three days ago I had to "Delete Preferences File" from the 'actdiag' for my main database.  I had changed my Preferences 6 days ago and then after I restarted my computer the next day, ACT! would not open - as it started to open I got the following error message:

Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key BuildKey[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) falied: Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings/jim\Application Data\ACT\ACT Data\DependentDlls.xml' is denied. (Strategy type BuildPplanStrategy, index 3)

Once I deleted my preferences file ia 'actdiag', ACT! would start - thank goodness.

I am mentioning this just in case it is related to the importing problem. 

Tuned Listener

Re: not able to import a list of contacts into ACT!2012

Since I created a new database and still got "nothing" after selecting File/Import, I am thinking that this is more of an application issue vs. an issue with the specific database.

Anyone?

Tuned Listener

Bumping this baby to the top.

I now have 3 lists that I need to combine with my main database ...... but I am not able to do it due to the condition outlined in the initial post.

Anyone?

Tuned Listener

I got too darn frustrated earlier and went down the path of removing ACT! manually.

I uninstalled ACT! manually, reinstalled it and now it does not show up in the Start/All Programs menu.  I am pretty sure that the computer gods do not like me right now.  At this point, I am cursing quite a bit and my frustration has reached its limit.  My new plan is to start fresh ......... as in start from scratch by reinstalling the OS.  This is drastic, but quite frankly, considering the amount of frustration that ACT! has caused me over the past couple of weeks - and all of my lost productivity - I should have done this 3 weeks ago.  Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.

I suspect that some of my frustration is also a result of the Microsoft OS, but I am not smart enough to know what is OS related and what is ACT! related.  I just know that the end result is that ACT! is giving me gray hairs and high blood pressure.

So, in closing, please consider this a dead thread as I am just going to start over from the OS installation and move on from there.