Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

newbie - offline/remote databases

Copper Contributor

newbie - offline/remote databases

Hi everyone, i have been given the task to look for a CRM for our company, i tried Outlook BCM 2010, but some of the guys had used sage in the past and prefered this to BCM.

So i have downloaded act 2011 trial, i have installed it on server 2008 R2, and on my laptop, what i want to do is have the main database stored on the server and all the users have a local db that links/syncs to the server db. in BCM this was very easy, you selected the remote db, and it then asks if you wish to create a local copy.. job done, but i am finding it a lot more tricky to get to the same position in act, maybe its me ( and i am sure it is :-) ) i have created a local db and tried to set up a remote on using the synchronisation panel but still no joy, i have approx 25 days left of the trial and i need us to have at least 2 weeks so i can evaluate.

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Lee

Platinum Elite Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: newbie - offline/remote databases

hi, thanks for the response, some of the guys are on the road so i think we will definityl need a setup with local databases that sync to the main database, i am just working through the pages you have kindly attached, so if i read correclty, i need to set up on the main network based database and then create the local databases from that ? i have also tried to set up a sync set, but i only get 1 user name in the list ? where does this pull in its user list ??

sorry for all the questions, its just not the easiest thing to set up.

Thanks

Lee

Lee,
What questions/issues/error messages are you running into? What method will be used for syncing (internet, LAN, VPN)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Have you created all the users in the main database on the server?

I do recommend getting an ACT! Consultant to help you with planning the best methods and the initial setup...
Copper Contributor

i think i have finlly got this working, i have managed to create my database on the server, added users and groups, created the sync set etc, and deployed on another machine, all seems to work ok. had an issue with server name, so changed it to the ip address and it worked ok.

thanks to everyone for your help.. it has been much appreciated.

Thanks

If you have Premium, you'll also want to change from Application sync to one of the Sync services
Copper Contributor

ah, i read abou that but didnt really digest as i was too busy trying to get it all working, i will look at that tonight..

Copper Contributor

is there a quick way of doing this ?

If Application Sync is working, the easiest is to install the Network Sync Service on the server, set it up to point to the database and turn off the "Accept sync" in ACT!

But, check the knowledge base

For users outside the office, you'll need to set port forwarding from your router to the server or use VPN or put the Sync Service on a system in the DMZ