Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

moving ACT data from one instance of ACT to another

moving ACT data from one instance of ACT to another

ACT Premium 2013

Windows 7

We have (had) multiple Remote Databases that we had synching with an instance of ACT on a server....some were so challenged that ultimately our 3rd Party IT group took over and offered to move the hosting of the main database and the access to it to the Cloud. During the time getting that together we/I lost the ability to Synchronize, but I did not stop using the Remote DB on my computer, others did the same.

So now we have no ability to synch, and I and others have no way, other than an arduous manual process, of getting the data since the last successful Synch over to the database available in the Cloud.

I could export data to Excel and import it to the instance in the Cloud but somethings are lost when doing that (Notes, History, etc).

So I am thinking I should just do an Export of an ACT Database file and import that. I would not want to make a mess by Export/Import all the data so my thought is to search all records (Company, Contact, Opportunity) by Edit Date and delete all records with a last Edit Date of BEFORE the date of the last successful synch. This would reduce my Remote DB to just what does not exist on the instance in the Cloud which I could then Import and retain all that would be lost by just doing this via Excel.

Of course before deleting records I would do a Backup in case I needed to restore.

Anyone have thoughts on this method??

PS, the instance in the Cloud has had records being updated by a marketing person who has access to all records and we do use Limited Access settings for all Remote DB's  

Silver Super Contributor

Re: moving ACT data from one instance of ACT to another

Create a lookup of contacts, histories, activities, etc. modified after a certain date and export the lookup.  No delete required.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thank you for your reply.

In my Remote DB I have about 8,000 Contacts and 500 Companies.

Since my last Synch I have about 200 Contacts records and 40 Companies that have been edited.

When I use the wizard and want to Export an ACT database file I do not have (so it seems) the option of just selecting those records that have been edited since the last Synch. If i did this via Excel I would but would like to use the ACT database file method as it would grab those things you would lose doing this via Excel.

Hence my thinking to delete the records from my Remote DB i did not need/want to export anyway. BTW, when I successfully complete this exercise I will be deleting my Remote DB as it will not be of use anymore.

Silver Super Contributor

Try a Lookup Contact Activity.  Unfortunately that won't give you the Companies but you can do a lookup on Companies by Edit date and export all the Companies edited after a specific date.

You can delete them if you want to but when you do it will take forever to delete thousands of contacts because of all the other information it has to delete.

If you moved the database properly to the cloud you might just have to change the name of the server back to what it used to be to get it to sync now.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

I want to be clear here, as I like your suggestion....BUT...when you say to export only those selected Contacts or Companies that would be using Excel right?

Because the only option I have for an ACT Database file is like the entire Remote databse....unless I am missing something like there is a way to Export those selected files in an ACT dabase format??

Silver Super Contributor

You can export just the current lookup from one Act! database to another Act! database.  Basically you create a new remote and export from your existing remote into the new remote.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com