Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

mother data base and new server

Tuned Listener

mother data base and new server

should I wait to create a mother data base after get on a new server.  Here is the deal:  I & another girl have ACT Premium 2011 but input data completely diffrenent.  So going to create a new data base with new fileds so our info goes in the same, and want to make sure that if we are on the same server, that I have access to viewing her notes and vice versa.  We don't want to overlap work but do want diffrent users with diffrent passwords,so I don't go in and have all her scheduled activties pull up -- I just want to be able to see mine but if there is info put into want to be able to see it, just minus activiites, make sense?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: mother data base and new server

If you are working in separate database currently, might as well sit tight to you have the server and can unify to one database on the server.

Yes, you will be able to do the things you mention with one database and individual logins.

Tuned Listener

Thank you soo much for your response.  And I will probably be in contact if you have an direct line that would be so helpful. 

Tuned Listener

The server is up and runing, now do we just install ACT 2011 Premium with Serial number and then create a new database?  If so, how do we then input info from 2 seperate acts that are on 2 diffrent computers and not sync'd or shared?  And then ensure that info is visiable and only seeing daily activities for that individual user hence login and password

Bronze Super Contributor

Yes, you will need to enter a valid serial number on each machine ACT! gets installed on.  (You do not need another serial for the server as you are still only using two people - you need a serial for each user or a multi-user serial for the number of users you have.)

Probably not needed to create a new database, rather, move one of them to the server.

Here is an article for moving a database: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19818

After that, you will most likely want to import the other database into the one that is now on the server:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17539

Lastly you will need to share the database on the server and open it from the two workstations:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878

Tuned Listener

Scott,

You have been a lifeline.  Thank you.  I do have one more query.  So when we open it from two workstations, we can make sure we have seperate logins and seperate passwords?  Also all notes and history will be visiable to one another minus activities/call scheduled per individual.

Also, If we move one database on server and then import the other and there are duplicate profies, I am assuming as long as we have same user fields that this information will be meshed along with notes applied to each.

Tuned Listener

Also, can we possibly still use the same user name and password when we get on server that we have already established. on our computers and not lose our activity scheduled.

Bronze Super Contributor

I think the KB about combining the databases should speak to maintaing the users, so from a high level, the answer to your questions is yes to all.

When you merge the two via the import/export you can set the rules as to how it will handle the duplicates.

Make sure you create a backup of the server database prior to importing/exporting to it in the event it doesn't work the way you expected - it can be a little tricky.

Tuned Listener

I will follow the steps you outlined once the dateabase in the third link you sent me to export/import is installed.  I then, need to create remote databases and synchronize them with main (mother data base).   Can you sent me that link?  Also, if I am the one moving the database that is installed on my laptop can I still open and work until remotes are up and running and if so will I have to do anything as far as changing log in info that I already have?  When the rdb file is sent to me do I just add it to the existing data base installed on my computer with same log in info...thanks again.

Tuned Listener

Scott, we we import the other data base, will act recognize contact/company info that are the same and kind of merge them, so to say?