Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

missing Act tab in outlook

missing Act tab in outlook

I am running Act 10, we have 3 systems with their own database which we sync to the main database and 3 users logged into the main database from their systems.  The users using the main db all have the act tab and icon in outlook, those of us that are connected to the network by syncing up our database can't get the Act Tab to come up in outlook.  I have gone to the knowledgebase and followed their suggestions,  going to about outlook and made sure act is not in the disabled items folder.  The act address book  is usable in Outlook.  checked the system32 folder for the files they suggested, they were there.  In outlook I have gone to the tools - options - other - advanced options - add-in manager and the act extensions are checked.  I have checked the 3 systems that the act icon appears in and their settings appear to be the same as the 3 systems that don't work.   What have I overlooked.  HELP
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: missing Act tab in outlook

Are you using ACT! 10.01?
What version of Outlook?

Have you tried removing the Outlook integration and re-creating it?

Yes, I have gone from outlook e-mail to act-email to outlook e-mail twice.  Shutting down and restarting Act and Outlook each time. without any success.  I am up to date on my version of Act.  version 20.0.0.237.hotfix 1. 

Thanks for your reply. 
Platinum Elite Contributor

That's not an ACT! version.. but if you meant 10.0.0, download and update to 10.0.1
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
You have already checked that the .dll files are there but they may not be regsitered , I've had a similar problem in the past that was resolved by registering the files and then rebuilding the Outlook file that manages addins, obviousuly do this at your own risk:

Close all apps
Click start button > Run
At the Run window type in regsvr32 Act9Ext.dll and click OK
Click start button > Run
At the Run window type in regsvr32 Actab32.dll and click OK
Restart the PC

Once restarted search the PC for a file called extend.dat, rename any instances you find of it to extend.old (you will need to search hidden folders, subfolders and system folders, You will always have at least one file)

Launch Outlook and then Act and try again

Message Edited by broony on 02-13-2008 06:34 AM

Thanks Mike,

I have been running the Help, act update which always returned a message stating that "you already have the latest version of Act" , which I was not. I didn't think to go the the download page and check.  I did download 10.0.1.199 but it didn't help.  Someone else suggested that I may have Act9ext.dll on my system but it may not be loading.  He was correct, but when I run it I get a "Act9ext.dll was loaded but the DURegisterServer entry point was not found.  THis file can not be registered"  error so I am now looking into why that happens.
Thanks again for your help.
jb
Copper Contributor

Regardless of the message try re registering both files, reboot and rename extend.dat and see what happens. If same issue try copying the two .dll files from the installation cd into the system32 folder, reregister again and then rebuild extend.dat and see what happens. Again, as always, all at you own risk.

Thanks for your response.
I took your advice and after hiting OK I got an error message " Act9ext.dll was loaded but the DURegisterServer entry point was not found.  This file cannot be registered". 
When I run regedit using the find command I can locate Act9ext.dll but even thought I can see the Actab32.dll is the same loacation I can't find it when I do a search.  When I type it in the RUN command it tells me  " Loadlibrary("Actab32.dll") failed - the specified module could not be found.  
Also when I run regedit and locate both of the files they both have a \1 after the .dll. 

Thanks I am one step farther the the path. 

Copper Contributor

Im not sure then, one think to check though is to see if the dll is actAB32 or actab32 (i.e. uppercase or lowercase AB) have a look for them in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, I still think it would be worth copying the .dll files from the disk again into the system 32 folder.

Make sure your logged in as local admin when doing it, may also be worth registering the files through a command prompt instead.

Also remeber to reboot and try rebuilding extend.dat, I'm sure I've had it in the past where the files wont register but a rebuid of extend.dat did the trick.

Thanks again,
I've got to start doing my real job, so I'll try this tonight.

jb