Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

managing access to records

managing access to records

I am set up as a Standard user, but I work in the office and log directly into the database on the server. One of our sales directors is working in the office this week, and he is also set up as a Standard user, but he logs into the database version he has on his laptop - he has to periodically sync between his laptop and the server. When I log in, I can view records, change the address, etc., and add a new contact/company. When he logs in to his laptop, Andrew cannot change or add a new contact. If we are set up as the same level user, why can I add, update, or save, but he cannot? Is it because I log directly into the server and he does not? Or is there something else going on, because it does not make sense that I can add or change but he cannot.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: managing access to records

User rights are not an absolute. Additional rights can be granted or taken away from a specific rights level.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Could you be a little more specific? We are using Act Premium 2006, with 3 salesman on the road using a remote copy of the database on their laptops and 2 administrative personnel in the office using the master data base on the server. The salesmen are supposed to sync their laptop copy with the master copy on the server once a week. We are trying to get it set so that each salesman can only see his own contacts, but ever since we tried to set up the restrictions, one man cannot sync and another cannot add or change contacts - the buttons are greyed out on his tool bar. But I am set at the same level and I am in the office and access the master data base and I have access to the records, the buttons on my tool bar are NOT grayed out. So, can anyone explain why one man cannot sync and the other cannot do anything other than look at contacts? Are there settings in the laptop that we have to change also?

To check the specific user rights, you need to be logged into the database as an administrator then you can check or change the user rights in Tools | Manage Users.

From your description, I suspect that you need to completely revamp you database setup including creating new remote databases for the remote users. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Again, could you be a little more specific - revamp the set up how? This program was installed and set up for us by a third party, who is no longer in business, and none of us are familiar with how to set this up, how to recreate the remote database or anything else.

You appear to have multiple problems. It sounds like you need to get everything back into the master database, get the limited access setup properly and then create new remote databases for the remote users. I would suggest that you consider engaging the services of an ACT! Certified Consultant.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129