Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

managing Contacts who are no longer around

Copper Contributor

managing Contacts who are no longer around

Dear Esteemed ACT users,

How do you manage contacts who have left their place of work, no longer work or `in some way are no longer relevant to your contact database? I do not wish to lose the history data but I no longer have contact with them. What I did do is setup a historical database which was an empty copy of my existing database and then I exported the details of those contacts into that database. Once done I deleted the contacts on my databse (well, that's the plan - I haven't done it yet - I am waiting to see what advice i get on the forum).

Anyone with any ideas?

Regards

The eternally grateful

Matthew

Copper Super Contributor

Re: managing Contacts who are no longer around

[ Edited ]

Matthew:

We have the same issue with needing to keep notes & history with the "historical" contacts - even though they are no longer with the company.    We tried the process of copying the records to an 'ARCHIVE' database but found it way too cumbersome to switch back & forth between the active database & the Archive one.  The other problem is that without the record in the active database, there's no reminder that "Bob USED to work here" and customer service & sales can't see that history!

So...

- We add a custom field called "DNP-Reason"  where we put codes explaining why we "DO NOT PROMOTE" to this person/record

- The DNP code appears at the top right of every layout in a way that can't be missed 

-  We use the code "NLWC" for No Longer with Company  (we also have "TLC" for 'This Location Closed'; BUST, etc.)

We do only business-to-business work, so this system lets us retain all the history we've had with any one client - and we can intelligently discuss what's gone on in the past when talking to the NEW contact at the company.

Hope that helps.

Luis Rodrigues