Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

looking for opinions on Act Cloud (anyone migrated from self-hosted?)

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

looking for opinions on Act Cloud (anyone migrated from self-hosted?)

Hello,

Our company has around 12 active users of Act and are considering moving to Act cloud as the users are spread over a few global offices, which appears to suit being cloud-based.

I remember reading when Act cloud was first avaialble, that the feature set between self-hosted and cloud was not the same. Is that still the case with the latest cloud version?

Has anyone here migrated from self-hosted to cloud?
What was the migrtation experience like?
Did it provide an improvement overall?
What features were not available in the cloud?

Are you using Act Cloud AND running the desktop app? How is performance? Is a local database sync required?

Are you using email integration (specifically on-prem Exchange) with Outlook 2016/2019? Is it reliable? 

Is anyone using Act Cloud with users logging in from other continents? I assume there will be a single database instance in a datacentre in the UK, so I'm wondering what performance will be like for our users in East Asia, USA, China, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Re: looking for opinions on Act Cloud (anyone migrated from self-hosted?)

Sounds like you could use an Act Certified Consultant/reseller. You don't pay any extra for the software and they will give you good independent advice. You can call Act and ask these questions and they will steer you to one or go on their site and check some of them out. You will also probably get some advice from this forum as well.

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are a number of variables and options with this.
Some add-ons aren't supported by the Swiftpage hosting but can be with third-party hosting.
Power users running from a single PC might find remote sync to their local system be better for performance ... Especially if in a country with poor internet quality.

I'd definitely speak to a local ACC to discuss your needs and advise on the best options for you.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Just a little more info -

In fact no add-ons are supported by switpage Hosting ACT for WEB as you are not given the option to install any software on Swiftpage's servers.

There is currently no option to manage the field security on Swifpage's hosting so if this is important to you Swiftpage hosting is not an option.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

@ch1p Thanks, can you elaborate please?

As far as I am aware we don't use field security in our database, but we do 'partition' our database between groups of users, so they only see the records they have access to. This is achieved by using Access Levels.

I'm also sure we don't use any add-ons.

I spoke to swiftpage sales about cloud and was told almost everything worked, but they were unable to provide a matrix or list of what only works in the desktop app. After a bit of digging, I discovered Smart Tasks are one example where you need to create/manage those from the desktop app, which sync's back.

One really important aspect for us is speed and accessibility from global locations. I tested server response times to https://my.act.com from global locations using various online URL speed testing services. UK, USA and Singapore all report excellent load speeds (typially <1sec), whereas Beijing is around 15 seconds, which is acceptable for a westen website from mainland China. I read swiftpage host their cloud offering on AWS, which perhaps explains why global access is mostly consistant from many locations. 

My concern with a 3rd party is whether they just host in their local datacentre, which might be great for local customers, but not great for global customers.

Can anyone suggest the top few 3rd-party Act Hosting companies?

Thanks advance.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor