Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

installation issues

Tuned Listener

installation issues

I have a few grieves against the way ACT handles installation.

First: ACT premium is supposed tu use a server or at least one machine as a server. Why does ACT install SQL SERVER STANDARD or EXPRESS on every machine, while SQL SERVER NATIVE CLIENT would perfectly do the job. It would be better eventuelly if during the installation it asks for the server to use, and thats it.

Second: Why are upgrades like 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.2.1 are only available in english. Everybody needs at least the corrections and fixes, including in the other languages. Besides the fact that you should ruther use some other ressources than those funny xml files in the profile. Sometime ACT just switches back to english, for some unknown reasons, and then you have to reinstall the whole thing.

Third: if you upgrade from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2 it uninstalls and reinstalls ACT. I don't understand why you have to uninstall the whole thing, all you have to do is stop the services, replace the files start the services and thats it. If you change something in the registry database, you ask for restarting the whole machine. But why do you have to uninstall? Un upgrade takes longer then installing windows!!!

I think you really have to look at how you manage installation, uninstallation and updating or upgrading. Imagine I have to do 100 workstations, it will take a full month to get it done!!!

Thats all for now, besides the fact that I have succesfully tested act 10.0.0.1 on windows server 2008, running on a virtual machine.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: installation issues

adecrignis wrote:

I have a few grieves against the way ACT handles installation.

First: ACT premium is supposed tu use a server or at least one machine as a server. Why does ACT install SQL SERVER STANDARD or EXPRESS on every machine, while SQL SERVER NATIVE CLIENT would perfectly do the job. It would be better eventuelly if during the installation it asks for the server to use, and thats it.

Many users use Internet Mail or create local databases. For both of these, a local SQL is necessary. If you're not doing either, you can disable the SQL options in services.msc

Second: Why are upgrades like 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.2.1 are only available in english. Everybody needs at least the corrections and fixes, including in the other languages. Besides the fact that you should ruther use some other ressources than those funny xml files in the profile. Sometime ACT just switches back to english, for some unknown reasons, and then you have to reinstall the whole thing.

10.0.2 is also available for Europe and 10.0.2.1 in not specific to language

Third: if you upgrade from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2 it uninstalls and reinstalls ACT. I don't understand why you have to uninstall the whole thing, all you have to do is stop the services, replace the files start the services and thats it. If you change something in the registry database, you ask for restarting the whole machine. But why do you have to uninstall? Un upgrade takes longer then installing windows!!!

10.0 and 10.0.1 used the .Net Global Assembly Cache... Microsoft found bugs in this when so many assemblies were stored there. 10.0.2 now does it a different (better) way.

Tuned Listener

installation issues

after installing 10.0.0.2 all submenus including the group/company list button changed to english. The main menu and the contact menus remained in french. Now we have ACT running in 2 languages at the same time, the main menus are in french and the submenus are English.

By the way the message concerning trial also switched to english, I use trial only for testing purposes, we have naturally fully purchased the updated versions. The elements displayed in the submenu when you click the View Groups/Companies are also displayed in english.

When you right click on a company the submenu also displays in english. The alarms menu also is diplaying in english.

We have already experienced this kind of problems with version 9. The problem then disappeard after reinstalling ACT, and we had to do that on every single machine, once the submenus changed to english. With the version 10, because of the updates, it does not work at all, naturally because of the update, and because we have to install 10.0.0.1 before upgrading.

If you could give me a hint how to change the language, some xml editing or something like this, this would help me a lot, otherwise we will have to remain from installing version 10, which seems from the performance point of view to run faster then version 9.

By the way I understand that the services.msc solution is feasable, but it would be much better if you ask before, and only install what is strictly necessary, ruther than installing everything and then disactivate a service manually.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: installation issues

adecrignis wrote:

after installing 10.0.0.2 all submenus including the group/company list button changed to english. The main menu and the contact menus remained in french. Now we have ACT running in 2 languages at the same time, the main menus are in french and the submenus are English.

Did you use the European version of 10.0.2? You might also check with the French Sage to see if 10.0.2 is actually released for French

If you could give me a hint how to change the language, some xml editing or something like this, this would help me a lot, otherwise we will have to remain from installing version 10, which seems from the performance point of view to run faster then version 9.

I'd recommend asking an ACC local to you... most people here wouldn't have much knowledge of the language issues

By the way I understand that the services.msc solution is feasable, but it would be much better if you ask before, and only install what is strictly necessary, ruther than installing everything and then disactivate a service manually.

i think because most ACT! users need it and would be confused by the question. You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.