Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

importing multiple records with same name

importing multiple records with same name

I have a user who has created multiple entries in Act v.6 where the name is the same. So, "John Smith" has 3 records with multiple notes on each record. When I convert the database in v.11, the new database has all the records. However, I need to import that database into our "server" database. When I do that, I lose all duplicate records with the same name. Is there a way I can import these duplicates?
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: importing multiple records with same name

You can do this in ACT! without resorting to any importing addon software by simply creating a unique identifier for records. Contact is one of the primary fields that, by default, ACT! will use as the basis of identifying duplicates. I suggest that you purchase one of the auto numbering softwares from reputable addon providors such as www.exponenciel.com or www.tnhg.com Use this to create a unique identifier for all your records in the database using a spare field, e.g. User 1, as the basis for duplicate checking rather than the Contact field. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

How do I turn off the duplicate checking? I don't remember being able to turn off this option when going through the import process. There are 4 different options of what to when when you get duplicates, but none of them seemed like the right option. Thanks for your help.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Bronze Elite Contributor

Stamping records with a unique number prior to import is an easily implemented best practice habit that can rescue you from unforseen or inconsistent import results. With ACT! 2005, the first of the .Net ACT! versions, importing was quite unpredictable. With improvements through the years this has got better up to the current version. However you can still have issues with import. Tools like ITimport or Inaport are a help and give consistency but they are a more expensive option where the importing exercise is relatively straight forward. The golden rule is to always do a proven, restorable backup of the target database prior to import.  

My recommendation is to use an auto numbering application as they are cost effective and can be used beyond the import exercise to automatically number records or apply a unique ID to documents that you create through a template in ACT! For instance numbered forms for accounting or other process requiring a numbered identity. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog