Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

iPad Premium Mobile Connection Problem

Copper Contributor

iPad Premium Mobile Connection Problem

Hello:

Client has 2012 Premium for Web SP2 hosted on company web server.  Client's iPad will open the desired ACT! Database when they are logged into a WI-FI wireless network.  It works just fine.  However, they cannot connect on 3G or 4G cell tower networks.  I have a feeling it is a firewall or port issues, but have not been able to solve the problem.

Tom Koller ACC

tomkoller@computingconnections.com

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: iPad Premium Mobile Connection Problem

Can they connect from WiFi outside of the building?

Are they sure they have a good 3G/4G connection?

It's one of many reasons I prefer Handheld Contact ... no need to mess with firewalls, security or poor connections :-)
Copper Contributor

They have no luck with 3G/4G inside the building or outside.  Wierd.  I will mention HH.  Have other users who are very happy with it.

Thanks Tom

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not the 3/4G, the WiFi.

But yes, I know a lot of users with both Premium Mobile and HHC ... HHC for the day-to-day (recording emails, getting alarms, etc) ... and APM when they need attachments or opportunities
Copper Contributor

You may already have this covered, but the first thing I thought of is, is the URL for Sage ACT! Premium (access via web) (or a redirect) published on the internet, say via an domain hosting provider?  It sounds like maybe the wifi connects you to the company's internal network, but obviously a 3G/4G connection would not as it just goes over the internet.  

For example, I have Sage ACT! Premium (access via web) installed on a server here in the office, and its mobile URL would be http://<servername>/apfw/m.  I can get to this via company wifi because my server is on the same network as is being published on wifi.  But I could never get to it on the internet because only inside my network can it resolve http://<servername>/apfw/m.  

Another option from a 3G/4G connection is to VPN into the company network and then you can get to internal network websites.

Hope this is helpful,

Amy

Bronze Super Contributor

Stated another way, your wifi connection is on the same "private" network, so you only need the web server name and you are golden.

To access APFW from the public network - the interwebs- APFW adress needs to be "published" so to speak to the outside world.

So ideally your firm has a static ip address and then the company internet router us set up to port forward your ACT web request from the outside to the act web server inside.  No big deal for your IT guy.