Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how to be sure SQL 2K8R2 Standard is working with ACT! properly?

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

how to be sure SQL 2K8R2 Standard is working with ACT! properly?

I have ACT! 2011 premium installed on 2K8 server with SQL 2008 standard R2 instead of express.

I followed the posted instructions in the kb, with no errors.  supplied the SQL standard ACT7 instance sa creds during the ACT! install, and it picked it up with no probs.

I'm not terribly familiar with SQL, so I just want to make sure this is correct.

I still have an ACT! directory in my documents, with a .pad file and all my database files that I'm used to seeing with regular ACT!

now I also have C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.ACT7\MSSQL which has a data directory as well.

so, just wondering...is this correct?  Where is the ACT! data kept...is it one or the other now, or both?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aviation Research
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: how to be sure SQL 2K8R2 Standard is working with ACT! properly?

When ACT! installs it creates an 'instance' within the MS SQL program > this is what you are seeing under the Program Files directory.  The actual data (your database) is contained within a separate set of files (*.ADF, *.ALF, *.PAD, 'database files' folder).  The default location for a database is under your 'My Documents' folder.  It is kept separate to allow removal of the program without removing your database files.

The best test for an ACT!/SQL installation is the creation and opening of a new database.  If you already have a database and are able to open it, that is a good indicator also.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Astute Commentator

any advice here?

sorry for the blantant bump.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Aviation Research
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

When ACT! installs it creates an 'instance' within the MS SQL program > this is what you are seeing under the Program Files directory.  The actual data (your database) is contained within a separate set of files (*.ADF, *.ALF, *.PAD, 'database files' folder).  The default location for a database is under your 'My Documents' folder.  It is kept separate to allow removal of the program without removing your database files.

The best test for an ACT!/SQL installation is the creation and opening of a new database.  If you already have a database and are able to open it, that is a good indicator also.

Greg Martin
Sage