Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how do I set this up?

Copper Contributor

how do I set this up?

We have 5 computers with ACT Prem setup -- (we have more licences) I want to setup a laptop that when in the office is connected to the LAN....

When the Laptop is in the office I would like it to be shared (thus instant updates on changes) but when out of the office and changes are made...how do I get the changes to the server? Do I sync at that point??

Should I setup the Laptop sharing the database, then setup Sync with it?  

Copper Super Contributor

Re: how do I set this up?

I would suggest setting up for synchronisation on the laptop if you intend to take the laptop out of the office. When in the office you can just open the internal database across the LAN. This gives you access to a local syncing database when out of the office and the internal database when working locally.

However, I find in most situations that you don't need to use the LAN access if you set the scheduler to sync automatically on the hour. If this is configured, the laptop will sync with the server whether they are in the office or working remotely and online.

The major problem you will have with setting up a laptop to only access the master database across the LAN will be if you setup Outlook Integration (one of the best parts of ACT! 10). Because the ACT! Outlook plugin needs to refer to the database, if you put in the local address and then try and open Outlook when you aren't on the LAN you will get an error message. If Outlook is looking for the sync database on the laptop itself it will have no problem. 

Darren Flood
ACT! Certified Consultant
Evolution Marketing;
ACT! Software
& CRM Consultants - Australia
Copper Contributor

thanks - but I am still not 100% clear ....

Do you suggest - I created a remote database rdb (which I then install on my laptop) and simple sync when needed?

Or

Create a shared database (for when I am on the network - to get real time changes) then ALSO setup remote/syncing??

Sorry - I just need a litle clairification

Thanks in advance

Copper Super Contributor

Yes. The second option. Have a database on the network to share and a remote database on your laptop to sync.

Just make sure you install the ACT! Scheduler (under the Tools menu) and set it to sync hourly. This will mean that your database will be syncing in the background automatically even if ACT! isn't open. 

Darren Flood
ACT! Certified Consultant
Evolution Marketing;
ACT! Software
& CRM Consultants - Australia

We have it set up to share a database at the office on a server, then when we are out of the office, we just access the server that holds the database through a remote desktop connection. This way, there are no syncs necessary, you have instant updates, and much easier on our team.
Copper Contributor

Very nice answer (just what I was looking for) As of right now - All I have done is setup the remote database on the laptop, and I sync periodically.....

I will change that to your suggested method

Platinum Elite Contributor

All you need is 2 PAD files on the Laptop... One for the local database and one for the server.

Just remember to open the local PAD and sync before and after using the server PAD