Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

gmail integration vs companionlink

Copper Contributor

gmail integration vs companionlink

Hi I have been using companionlink for years. Now that Act 2012 has gmail integration what are the advantages, disadvantages of both?

Will using both duplicate my records?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: gmail integration vs companionlink

I have found both can cause duplications. Also the ACT! integration with GMail doesn't properly handle country codes and shouldn't be used to sync to a mobile phone
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: gmail integration vs companionlink

I have used Companionlink for many years as well. Companionlink can cause duplication, in my experience it is rare but non the less it happens. I have used HandHeld Contact and I have never seen it cause a duplication nor have the few customers who we have using it reported duplications.

Gmail integration is some thing new to us. As a company we are examining it now. It lacks some basic workflow components that they should have included to make integration more fluid, why they didn't, I don't know. In really brief testing it is looking problem free so we will keep working with it before we recommend it to customers. Sage do make a clear warning about only integrating Gmail or Outlook, not both. It is obvious if you have two synchronizing processes that there would be a high chance of record duplication. For a serious business use of a synchronizing solution for hand held devices we recommend HandHeld Contact, the risk is too great otherwise for both us and the client.  

The immediate problem I have is the lack of Sage's commitment to providing a specification as a business application, applicable to Google Apps adoption. In that situation it needs to work with  domain MX record, meaning more than just Bill@gmail.com but bill@mydomain.com in a Google Apps mail world.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog