Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

field to update calendar

field to update calendar

hi all,

i need to know if this can be done. i need that a field with installation date, updates automatically the calendar and writes the required information in the calendar.

can this be done?

thanks

Re: field to update calendar

So, i have looked more into it and it seems that i need to use smart tasks

i am trying it out as you can see in the attached image, but i need the field to update the calendar not the calendar to update the field.

or else when i make a calendar entry i can import a number of fields with all the information of the installation details

smart task.png

not even a yes or no/ can or cant be done?
Bronze Elite Contributor

Perhaps if you explain what the business requirement is rather than a particular angle on solving it, that might open up the discussion to alternative ways of dealing with it.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

well we are a renewable energy company where we install photovoltaic panels and solar water heaters. particularly the solar water heaters require regular maintenance. so firstly someone finds a slot in the calendar and updates the installation date field and automatically updates the calendar and other fields.

I am thinking something like this for the process:

step 1: update site visit details such as roof size, orientation and shading etc.

step 2: once client purchases product, installation date is given and inputted in sage

step 3: automatically sage updates the calendar and in the calendar entry all relevant information is included from various fields inputted from the site visit

this might not be the correct way of going around it but ultimately I need to make the calendar updating easier and removes and room for error and mistakes

any help is much appreciated

Bronze Elite Contributor

My analysis of what you are trying to achieve, correct me if I am wrong.

Create a prospect/customer record (ACT! contact), a sales process (ACT! opportunity), site information (ACT! contact or ACT! opportunity or sub-table of contact record), schedule installation (ACT! calendar). In addition schedule re-occuring maintence visits (ACT! calendar)

I presume you want site information in the calendar so that the installation people have sufficient information to proceed with the installation task (recording a job). Which raises the questions:

1. How is the site and job detail information going to be provided to the installation staff, i.e. do they have access to ACT! i.e. how will they access the information remotely (away from the office)?

2. Are you looking to have the installation staff complete a job process in ACT! and what other process follows the completion of the installation?

Graeme Leo

Hi gleo, you understood the process well.

1) the installation staff get the information via the calendar being printed daily for the following day, so they have time to review it.

This is only one calendar of the foreman, and all installations are put in it and then the foreman distributes the work among the workers.

If there are any changes we call the installation staff and update the calendar.

2) the installation staff already have a checklist which they must follow following and installation, so this can be inputted in ACT!. This is a sheet of paper which they fill out on site and when they bring it back to the office it can be inputted manually.

P.S. installation staff do not have access to a pc, only the foreman.

Bronze Elite Contributor

We have done custom developments to handle contact information appearing in the ACT! calendar and it works fine, there isn't anything you can do within ACT!'s own 'out-of-the-box' capability to do that. However most customers with any quantity of remote  job management  and scheduling run with custom tables in ACT! and then either run ACT! Premium for Web or synchronise ACT! to the main database to gain efficiencies. It really comes down to the scale of the business and the pressing need to make things more efficient.

Graeme Leo

Nickel Contributor

I am not sure I fully understood your requirements but if you need to have some fields be copied to the activity so that it appears in the calendar, then you might want to look at this add-on: Advanced Activity Window http://www.exponenciel.com/actaddons/actaddon.aspx?ID=140

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms