Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

extremely slow opening ACT! for a single user logon (not PC)

extremely slow opening ACT! for a single user logon (not PC)

[ Edited ]

We recently upgraded to ACT! 2012 (~60 days ago), and have noticed that a single user in ACT! is taking an incredibly long time to login.

For this particular user, ACT! hangs for ~5 minutes on the splash screen saying "Logon Completed." before allowing her into the program.  If we try to login as a different ACT! user on this same PC, the login is almost immediate (maybe 5-10 seconds).  If we login using her ACT! credentials on another PC, it again hangs for ~5 minutes.  So, I feel the issue is clearly specific to the ACT! user and not the PC.  This is happening on brand new Windows 7 Professional 64-bit workstations with good specs (dual core, 8GB RAM, etc.)

I've tried editng the preferences to startup into the Dashboard or directly into the Contacts page and it does not seem to help.  I've also tried resetting the Prefs folder per some instructions I've found here with no luck.  Did not think that would help anyway since the issue is not PC-specific.

As far as I know, all other ACT! users on our system open quickly (I've tried maybe 5 out of 10 that we have), and no other complaints.

I've also tried restarting the ACT! and SQL services on our ACT! server with no luck.

I've tried calling Sage, but they are looking to charge $399 for a single incident which I think is ridiculous.  We are only 60 days after purchase and have not called in with an incident yet.  We're also a long-time ACT! customer, have used ACT! for years.  I understand that their policy is 30 days, but hoped they would offer an exception since our install is not old and we have not yet called in with a single issue - but I guess not.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?  I'm not sure what could be wrong with the ACT! user to cause something like this.

We are running ACT! Premium 2012 v14.1.108.0.

Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: extremely slow opening ACT! for a single user logon (not PC)

Hello Kremlar,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Check this particular users calendar/Task List.  Is there a high number of activities present?

Greg Martin
Sage

Guess I'm not sure what is considered a high # to ACT!, but to me - yeah, there are 207 total activities - some dating back to 2001.

Would this be considered a high number?

Nothing in the calendar that I see.
Nickel Super Contributor

Filter the task list to show also this user's cleared activities.

Also, does the user have recurring activities with no end date?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

I assume you mean Tasks?  By showing Cleared Tasks, the # bumps up to 215 (21 Calls, 164 Meetings, 30 To-dos.

She had one recurring Task from 2002 that ended almost right away (only 2 occurrences).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nickel Super Contributor

Make sure that the task list is filtered for ALL activity types (cleared and uncleared) and see what the count is.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

The only option is "Show Cleared".  When I check this option, it adds the cleared Tasks and brings the total # of Activities to 215.  There is no option to "Show Uncleared", I believe the "Uncleared" activities are always shown.

Is 215 a lot higher than other users have on their calendars?

Another area that could slow a single user signing on is Notes/Histories. Does this user have significantly more Notes/Histories than the other users?
Greg Martin
Sage

She is our heaviest ACT! user, so I'm sure she has a large amount of Notes/History that she has attached via ACT!.  She definitely attaches just about every email, attachment, etc... and has been for many years.

Not sure if this means anything, but for some reason her slow login seems amplified on workstations running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  Although still slow, oddly enough her account logs in much faster on an older Windows XP workstation we have (maybe 1-2 minutes?).  However, on any of our much newer & generally faster Windows 7 Professional 64-bit workstations her login takes easily 3 times as long.  Again, our other ACT! user accounts login much more quickly (10-15 seconds?) on these same workstations - so the issue is definitely related to her ACT! account.  Does this make any sense?

Sorry for the ignorant question (I'm not much of an ACT! person), but what's the best way to see what she has as far as Notes/History?  If it's excessive, what's the best way to archive older items?

Thanks

To determine how many Notes or Histories the user has, go to their contact record and view the Notes and History tabs.  It will show a total count just below the window.

To see if removing old Notes or Histories will decrease the sign on time, use the option File > 'Save Copy As' to create a test copy of the database.  Open the test copy and delete Notes/History for a time frame (ex: everything older than 2006), then test the time to open... Continue testing by deleting additional items and opening the database. 

Note: There is an option to 'Remove Old Data' under the Tools > Database Maintenance menu, but it will remove all items older than X days - not just for a particular user.

If you find that removing these items decreases the launch time, you can use the Save Copy As option to create an 'Archive' copy of the database.  You could then delete the items from the production database and refer to the Archive copy for older information.

Another option would be to create a new username for them, and set the existing username to inactive.  This way the data stays in the database and is easily accessible.  Using this method would also require changing the existing activities to the new user.

Greg Martin
Sage