Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

error on opening act database---here is the message I see --please help!

Copper Contributor

error on opening act database---here is the message I see --please help!

"ACTcommand" start tag on line 1426 does not match the end command of "Description". Line 1427, position 82

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: error on opening act database---here is the message I see --please help!

Hello alkaye,
This sounds like a problem with a configuration file. What version of ACT! do you have? Are you opening the database through ACT! or through the web?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

ACT 2009 (version 11)...opening through web to my office computer from home --using a tunnel (Log me in himatchi)

Does the error occur if you open a local database, like the demo (ACT11Demo)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

yes....

Do you get the error before or after you get to the login screen? What is the last thing you see before getting the error? Also, if possible, can you copy the error box and paste it in your reply.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

after I try to log in --after entering my password

act error.jpg

I have not seen this error before. It sounds like it is coming from a configuration file, but if it happens both with a local database and database being accessed over a network, it may be a bad install or possibly a permissions issue. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 on your machine, then try disabling User Account Control:

Windows Vista:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2022...

Windows 7:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

If your office is a corporate office, it may also be firewall security on the corporate internet. I know our office does not allow third-party network connections (like Hamachi VPN) for security reasons.

If it is a damaged install, then you can try uninstalling and reinstalling ACT! on your machine. This is assuming that you have no problem opening the database locally on the machine that is hosting it.

Greig Hollister