Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

e-mail history type

Copper Contributor

e-mail history type

[ Edited ]

I've always been curious to know why e-mail - which has been ubiquitous for over a decade - is not its own history type, but rather is a subset of "other".

ACT - e-mail is Other.jpg

Relatedly, why is there no "e-mail received" option, just an "e-mail sent" one? This time, I have to attach the file, because for some reason when I try to add the photo, I get a big giant red "X"

Version 18.2

Database is on a local machine

Operating system is Windows 10

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: e-mail history type

Hi Craig,

You need to use the drop down to select the other Email History options as in the attached.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Administrator

Re: e-mail history type

Hi Craig,

Generally speaking, Act! is designed for the email integration services to create the histories for inbound and outbound emails for you. The Other section in the History Types dropdown is used for all these automatically generated history types.
For incoming emails, these are recorded as the history type "E-mail Attachment" when using the Attach to Act! Contacts, or Quick Attach options in Outlook.
Outgoing emails are automatically recorded as "E-mail Sent".

If you find yourself regularly needing to add email history manually, then you could create a new history type for these. They would then be outside this Other subsection, and easier to access. Please note that we do not recommend using the clipboard to copy content from rich text emails (i.e. formatting and images etc) and pasting it into Act! histories. This extra information can cause issues when stored directly in the database. These should be attached to histories. This is also avoided when using the Outlook integration to record history.