Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

default lookup field

default lookup field

In ACT! Premium, does anyone know how to modify the default field in the "Contact Field:" dropdown for the contacts lookup in the left sidebar?

Currently, the dropdown defaults to the "Contact" field and our users would like it to default to the "Group" field rather than choosing the "Group" field from the dropdown list.

Thanks.

Kudos!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: default lookup field

Hello rnielas,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. The default setting depends on the view you are in. If in the Contact view, then Contact will be the default. If in the Group view, then Group Name will be the default. There is not a method for changing this.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for your reply.

Greig,

Thanks for your reply. I found this by searching the web. We use act, and this is a royal pain for our users. They search by Company Name or by ZIP Code... so constantly clicking away from contacts wastes company money and their time.

Will future versions allow this? If not, I highly recommend to your programmers to allow for this change.

Thanks,

Sean

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Sean,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. I certainly understand your perspective on this. One thing your users can do so they don't have to switch views, is to right-click in the field they want to search in and select Lookup (field name). Also, if in the List View, you can do a quick search by typing a value in the Look For field...this will search on whatever column they currently have the list sorted by.

Please submit your suggestion in the Ideas board for our product managers to review by clicking Share Ideas from the options at the top of this screen.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

For what it's worth, I concur with Greig Hollister on this. I hardly ever use the left side contact lookup because it is so much more efficient to do a lookup by right-clicking on any field you want to use for the search. You can even use this search with note fields.

This is also a pain for us as well. There is a program made exponenciel that makes a really easy program to install that should allow to change the default. It can be found here: http://www.exponenciel.com/actaddons/actaddon.aspx?ID=142

However I am getting an error on my computer that I was hoping to find a fix to on here....maybe one day.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello DSievers,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Thank you for the information about the add-on for setting a default lookup field.

In reference to your error, please create a new post in the appropriate board so the Community can assist.  Helpful information includes Operating System, version of ACT! (Help > About ACT!) > error message > steps taken that produce the message.

Greg Martin
Sage

I just do ALT-L for lookup, then C for company (takes less time than moving the mouse to a field, I'll bet).  But my question is whether or not we can change the middle field ('Starts with') to a default of 'Contains.'  If I don't remember the start of a company's name, having a default of Contains makes life easier.

As much as I tout Act, there are several little tweaks I'd like to make that could save several seconds on each record.  If you work with 40 records a day and save 3 seconds on each one, that's two minutes a day or a day a year.