Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

csv import does NOT overwrite existing data in Act11

Copper Contributor

csv import does NOT overwrite existing data in Act11

Does anybody else run into this yet?

the import does not replace field values if those fields do already contain data - even with "Replace from Source" selected !!! 

I have exported some 2000 contact records containing a internal unique customer-ID number into a Excel 2003 file.

Those records were checked externally on typos and correct addressing, Zip code, phone etc and delivered back in same format.

To find my imports back in Act later, I have added a extra column in Excel "Checked" and filled that with "xyz-rownumber".

I planned to use an existing text field "Checked" in Act to store that values

Finally I have set everything fine as text (no more formulas) and saved the File as Tab delimited Text.

To have a last check or backup of the actual original Act data, I decided to import in the first go just the "checked" field value,

then do one more Excel import of the existing data, later to import all the 6-8 changed fields in a second run.

(In our previous Act2000 export-checking-re-importing was always done that way - error free).

The import went through smoothly but only some 900 contact records were marked with "Checked" = "xyz-rownumber".

Wherever the import found a already filled "Checked" field (from previous imports), it left the former contents untouched.

I double-checked that I have NOT selected "Merge" (then the behavior would be explainable), but "REPLACE FROM SOURCE",

which should OVERWRITE all the target fields as planned...

HELP...

I have blocked the DB over the weekend for the users and are really stucked now... 

I also do not want to spent on extra addon "Tools" for a functionality that was working fine before Act11.

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: csv import does NOT overwrite existing data in Act11

Yes, this is how it works. It can only fill in unfilled data or replace the entire record. It's can't replace data in fields.

I use itImport as the best way to do that

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your quick feedback.

I am totally astonished...     

I just want to update the addressfields or single value fields, not all the other data for the contact.

Actually, I was hoping that ACT11 would do just this. Following the menu messages the option:

"If match is found, replace with source contact" in my understanding should better be:

"If match is found, replace the selected target fields with data from source" then I could do that perfectly. 

What is the ACT11 build in import designed to be used for,  if it can not update?

Just importing complete records ???

In that case I would have to export everything,  delete the contacts and restore them with all fields again.

By doing that (I assume) I will loose all attached notes, history and tasks with that customer, won't I ??

That information literally translates to:

I pay an ACT license for 200$ and have to spend another 150$ for an addon to be able to import / update.

I start considering now whether moving from Act5/6 to ACT11 is really a good idea for that project.

Martin Glueckmann

The built-in import is designed for importing new records. It can also replace the records in the database with those from the source.

It doesn't do field-level merges. No version of ACT! has done that.

Hi, yea, I tried to do that also. ACT has its' own internal uniqueid / hash key. you have to purchase IT import to be able to choose which field is the matching field. $550.

Good luck! 

Actually, you can get itImport for a lot less than $550 if wanting to just update fields in the contact record from CSV.

Have a look at the Basic Edition - http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1

Martin,

If it is of any consolation -- I doubt it is -- I too find this astonishing. What is the point of offering an option to overwrite??? Also, the preeminent information source on ACT! importing, "ACT for Dummies" by Karen S. Fredricks, 2007, well states on page 251 this importing capability is possible, while providing a dearth of instruction relative to the rest of the book.

This all leads me to believe the program's inability to perform the import overwrite is some sort of mistake. Otherwise this just does not make sense. Therefore, I contend "unbelievable" may be a more appropriate adjective than "astonishing."

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your feedback...

I have meanwhile found out how to use the build in import function to match my requirements.

It is somewhat cumbersome but it works... An ACC showed me the final hints on how to use it.

There is three options to select from and only one is doing "overwriting from source".

But for more complex imports I have also bought a license of IT Import.

I have taken the "big" version (Advanced) as the small version allows only to specify maximum 2

target database names (i.e. If you change the DB name more than 2 times it stops working...)

The "big" version has also more features and is able to write into "custom table" fields,

that was a must for my installation.

Only drawback on IT Import was the support cost factor 

(technically very sound, but charged by the hour and after some weeks could be more costly than the license itself) 

This is no software for PC novices, even experienced users have to work through the manual thoroughly first,

as several important options are not really self-explanatory.

best regards,

Martin

Martin Glueckmann