Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

company search and others

Tuned Listener

company search and others

[ Edited ]

If you are in a contact detailed view, and you click on the company, it takes at least 15 seconds before it comes back displaying the company list with the contact list.

So I created a menubar which I stick under the left menu icons.

it has 2 fonctions:

Search for a Company

Search for a Lastname (contact)

Those work, no matter in which window I am, and they come back with an immediate result, no delay at all.

It would be nice to have this function permanently available, and without any additional fields in the query, which are only confusing for the average user.

Besides that, the company search is a mere disaster.

When a slow typing person uses it, only the first character works, any additional character typed in, replaces the first one.

It should be normally some sort of incremental search, additing character after character.

Just for you info, the slow typing person is usually the Boss, the person who pays for ACT. Yhe others usually type fast enough to get a correct result.

Message Edited by adecrignis on 08-29-2008 11:43 AM

Re: company search and others

adecrignis,

Is this a shared database?  Do the other users experience the same problem? 

Try running database maintenance on the database.

Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures

Tuned Listener

yes it is a shared database, for about 20 users.

The server is not a very fast machine, but certainly will be changed when next years budget is available.

For 20 users, it is a P4 2.4Ghz, 2Gbytes of  DDR2 memory. The database files a stored on a NAS with a direct 1GB connection to the server.

I have checked the following:

When you are on a workstation, and in the company list display, and you click on a company

I looked at the Performance windows in task manager, the CPU load went up to 75%, and the back again to 2%.

The memory is not an issue, because it only uses something like 500MBytes.

But the database is pretty big, it is about 7000 companies, and 15000 contacts.

We have a second database with 6 users and about 1200 companies and 4500 contacts, and we de have a much better response time.

This means the query is send to the server and the result is coming back to the workstation.

While the search button I created, it does not send the query to the server, it executes locally.

My understaning is, as usually with classic database implementations, the query has to go to the server, to make sure updated records are send back to the client. I will tonight reindex the database, to check if there is any perfomance gain.

Tuned Listener

well I have reindexed the database using actdiag, and it seems quite faster then before.

The waiting time for a new window now does not exceed 3 to 5 seconds.

Tuned Listener

this does not mean the search problem is fixed, the problem with a slow typing person still exists