Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

combining multiple databases with different user fields

Tuned Listener

combining multiple databases with different user fields

We have 3 different databases at our company, one that is in hq with 3 people accessing it, and 2 more out in the field for 2 reps. Each database has the user fields defined differently.

I would like to get everything into one database, export the 2 individuals back to them and have them sync. Also, this way everyone could get the database from an internet browswer with web services enabled if they don't have their database with them.

Even though the users databases have different user fields, many of the fields have the same data, but in different places. We all have lead source, but Joes is User 6, Tom in user 8, and HQ in User 10. I am sure the choices in the pull downs are also a bit different.

I found this link, which I am assuming I can use. This will remap user fields from one database into another. Is this the right thing to do? Do the import as below, and take Joes User6 and map it to HQ's User10?

http://community.act.com/t5/Act/Merging-2-databases-into-ONE/td-p/208982

Thanks.

Tuned Listener

Re: combining multiple databases with different user fields

Have seen a bunch of views, but no responses? Anyone?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: combining multiple databases with different user fields

The reason that you've gotten a lot of views and no responses is probably because most people are like me and read it and think "That will probably work.  That's not the way I'd do it but it will probably work."  I usually create new fields for all the fields I need and don't use the User fields for the vary reason that you are having this issue.  The other problem you might run into is if someone redefined the user fields the data in one might not fit into the other.  Getting data from one field into another field isn't going to be your biggest issue though.  Your biggest issue is going to be duplicate contacts and how to handle that data.  That's the other reason that no one responded.  How to handle that part of the database combination can take quite a bit of time to explain.  Your best bet is to call an ACT! Certified Consultant and let them handle it for you.  They will bill you for it but you'll usually get more out of working with an ACC than they cost.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!