Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

change custom field names

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

change custom field names

i am using ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3. I am usng the ACT! OLE DB Provider 2.0 to connect to Excel 2010 and run sql queries. I first downloaded the list of column names to know which field names to use. Some custom field names that I need to use in my query were set up (not by me) with 2 words, such as: Transmitter no and Current Balance. My query runs until I try querying one of those fields. I can change the display name, but not the FUNCTIONCOLUMN name. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you,

Vicki

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author momwith123kids
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: change custom field names

The query was not running. After much research, I found in MSSQL a column name with a space can be surrounded by brackets. I did that and the query works.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

[ Edited ]

Regardless of the name you give to the field in the application, the OLEDB will handle it appropriately when you execute your query. Changing the column name would not be possible in the applcation, you could however create a new field and swap the data into the new field and delete the old. 

This may not be necessary, what exception is being thrown when you attempt to execute the query? 

You may also want to verify the syntax, try surrounding the column names in quotations.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Solution
Accepted by topic author momwith123kids
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

The query was not running. After much research, I found in MSSQL a column name with a space can be surrounded by brackets. I did that and the query works.