Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cant move Act to new server

cant move Act to new server

We are unable to "complete move to a new server" method as per the Act instructions in http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30304/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDMyMzgyMDIw...

The existing machine is XP (I know thats why we're moving) and it runs just fine, 8 users.  Version of Act is 16.3.11.0

Our new server is brandnew Server 2012, Server Essentials 2012 R2. We have done a new install of Act Premium and matched version 

We browse to the ACTMOV file we created, (it is copied locally) and create the new location, put in username and password of the admin and then recieve the error (pictured) 3 times within a second of starting, and then it bombs out. 

Cant find anything to do with this error anywhere and I've been trying for two days to resolve this. 

Can anyone suggest anything?

Alternatively, will I be able to get the original machine out of "single user mode" since I started the database move procedure as we cant log back in.

Is there an alternate way to move the database other than this? 

Many thanks in advance

act error.png

Re: cant move Act to new server

More info. Cant restore from a backup either. Recieve a different error - not one that is particularly helpful. 

have tried removing Act and reinstalling (although it is a brand new install), and tried an older backup and get the same error.  

Dont like the idea of detaching the DB and moving  manually, not sure about all the other files/attachments etc. No clear instructions on how that works. Or creating a new PAD file? See attached for screen shot when attempting to restore.

act error2.png

Re: cant move Act to new server

If anyone is reading, think i solved so heres the FYI.  The actmov and the backup file did not include the ADF file!  

Moved everything manually, worked fine. Although annoyingly connecting a new ADF file creates a subfolder of the share and recreates all the default folders, so all the files have to be moved into subfolders, no biggie.

Looks like our backups have never included the ADF file. Good stuff.