Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can't sync

can't sync

Ok I've tried just about everything.  Have read all the help and posts of other people but its still not working.

I want to be able to sync my 1 and only database from my home and office computers.  I have act installed on 2 machines and are on the same network in the office.  Both have windows vista and are connected to the internet and network. 

I have properly created the remote database and put it on the other machine.  I have also installed network sync installed on database machine.  It is running. 

I have also opened the 65100 port on my router.  I'm DSL with a linksys modem.

I try to sync from the other computer and I get:

"Act! Is unable to connect to the sync server.  Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" in enabled in the main database and that Network sync service is running.  Also be sure you are connected to your network"

I have tried to do it with act network sync running and ive tried it with act open.

I have tried many many times to do this.  I have tried to make a remote database internal and external and neither worked.  I have a domain with my IP forwared to that.   http://lol.getmyip.com if that helps.  I really need to get this up and working.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Nickel Contributor

Re: can't sync

Have you created the exception for port 65100 in your Windows firewall on the ACT server?

One quick way to test whether you can access the sync service is to type the following into your browser:

http://lol.getmyip.com:/65100

You should get the following response:

Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureRemotingException: Server requires a secure connection for this client
   at Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureServerChannelSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpServerTransportSink.ServiceRequest(Object state)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ProcessRequestNow()

If you don't, then you likely have not started the sync service, not forwarded the 65100 port in your router to the right computer, or your Windows Firewall is blocking that port. Your dynamic DNS software might also be crapping out, but I'm guessing you would have known that by now. 

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
JM
Nickel Contributor

I assume you are running ACT! 2007,2008 or 2009 Premium all PC's same ACT version since I have made all ACT ver. work since 2007. You read KnowledgeBase (KB) Answer ID19372, 19374, 13878, 17536 and followed the other ID's of info on configuration.  Vista OS and/or a Vista PC sync to XP PC is not going to be a problem since I've done it. Sounds like you want to run Sync Server on a Publisher DB PC to perform a Network Sync not Internet Sync which I have done for two remote system sites and a local PC running ACT on a home network also doing the Sync rather than both PC's opening a shared ACT DB folder (PAD file).  Make sure Synchronization Panel Sync Server connection is Network type, you put in the Machine name of publisher PC and the Port is 65100.

FYI you can't run Sync Server ON and have Publsuher DB Accept Sync now using the same port 65100, keep it simple don't have Publisher accept sync's. once Server is working you cna setup on remote PC's a scheduler to auto sync when ever and not have ACT open on Publisher system.

I don't see your coments about Windows Firewall, any Antivirus/Security firewall and what VPN product your using. See ID# 23333, I use the Free Logmein Hamachi VPN. https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

1. Get things to basic and first work with your two local PC's and turn off Windows Firewall and any 3rd party Antivirus/Firewall product before installing Hamachi VPN.

2. After VPN is working between PC's and you can browse shared folders from Hamachi interface, start turning on Firewalls and in exceptions if the Port 65100 is there, add if not there already ACT! by Sage and ACT Sync Server applications.

3. You only need to install Sync Server on Publisher DB. The remotes can do a sync now to the port and or a schedule sync date/times on the remote.

JM

Hey guys, I appreciate all the help.  I double checked to make sure that ACT is allowed through my firewall and it is.  I went to http://lol.getmyip.com/:65100 and I get a page can't be displayed.  I do not have a VPN setup but I'm going to try that.  I have read through everything in the database.  I have sync running but I don't have accept incoming sync enabled in ACT.  I'm really getting frustrated with this program.  I was going to buy 5 more liscenes but I can't get this to work and im about ready to throw my whole computer through the wall Smiley Sad

and I do want to run a Internet sync to sync over the internet but it wont work on Vista but from what I read the Network snyc program will still accomplish what I want to do since I have premium.

alright I got it to work for my 2 office computers.  I deleted the old DB and disable sync and then enabled it and created a new database.  I dont have Netowrk sync running I just have the basics.  I will work on getting more and more to work any help is helpful!
JM
Nickel Contributor

I'm glad your sticking to it but take this advice as money well spent if your considering buying 5 more expensive licenses if this sync was working.  Buy the 1 year $250? Support plan so you can call ACT! for help because there will be other things to learn and figure out. They can even remote access in to speed up the processes rather than explaining everything over the phone.  If your new to ACT know that this is an off the shelf product with the potential to become very custom but requires experienced users or ACT CC trained people to get things setup which will cost some upfront money. Why than buy ACT? because there's so many users out there, add-on's, and written in a way that your data is not locked into a custom SI product.  This forum is a valuable tool to look for quick answers and short feed back, but to me time is money and if I don't have a system running why beat your head against the wall.  A week before 2008 10.02 fixes came out and month later Beta 2009 I was using ACT for 2 years and spent $$ on third party add-on's and support plan and about to give up with the bugs ACT had and how slow the performance was with my DB 56,000 records.  Point it's safe to spend $250 because 2009 is solid and the sooner your people are selling and colaborating the return of investment will come back XX fold.

If I had know in 2007 what I was going to go through I should of hired a ACT CC.

In closing if you have not figured it out by now on your own unlike I and others that's Okay!, The big picture is your going to put and support a system that will help the company.

Now what do you mean you got it to work?

The Hamachi VPN and or Network Sync server and you created a new remote DB and made sure the Machine name and Port# it will use is set. If Sync Server on Publisher PC is running make sure ACT on that PC "Accept Sync" is NOT checked.  That is a problem unless you define Sync Server as port 65100 on Publisher DB and made sure the remote DB was also pointing to that port, and ACT Accept Sync is using port 65200.  But why have both going if the VPN is running.

FYI if your the Admin you may consider for the the remote PC's if they have Cable or DSL service the Logmein.com Free product. You wil find it helpful to access them and resolve issues or walk them through how to use ACT or even force remote's to sync to make sure that's done before you do a back up and or make big changes to DB.

JM

Hi, Thanks for the response Jm. I had considered getting the suport plan but didnt know if I was going to get 5 more liscenes.  Im still not sure how many I will need but probably 3 or 4 more.

I have got the sync working on a office network between two computers.  The remote database snyced with the main database.  I have gone ahead and put the remote database on a 3rd computer and tried to sync but it gave me "snyc failure because this database has already been sync..." I got to do some reading into that.

I don't have a VPN, just a normal network.  I'm looking to now figure out to get all 5 office computers working with the same database and syncing.  from there I will move onto trying to get it to sync outside the network.

Any pointers?

JM
Nickel Contributor

Support plan I think only costs $250 per customer account number and not have to buy a license for each DB license. If they so so I'd push them or work out a deal you will be the only contact person calling in.  I started off with 1 license so not sure how they now charge. Don't confuse the APC ACT which for $114? a year per license gives you free upgrades even if its a major release, but it offers no support.

For 1-9 users stick with Network Sync Server all you need is Publisher PC running 24/7 and VPN.  Trying to get the Internet Sync working requires Publisher PC with XP Pro, Vista Business, Ultimate or Server 2007-08 and configuring IIS Server Service which is not worth it! Let alone you might as well just consider setting up ACT for Web since you bought Premium EX. Unless the remotes are not always connected to Internet or they have Laptops that while on the road they may need ACT

Not sure on the error message? but I assume you are creating a unique named remote DB for each PC only after you know the Machine names because that is a require part of the creation of remote DB as well as the Port#. Also I assume after you copied the specific RDB files to the correct remote PC's you did a Restore Database selected "Unpack and Restore Remote DB". This must be since your local's are syncing OK.  Which you can confirm opening from Tools Sychronization Panel select "View Sync Log".  Do this because I'm not sure how Sync worked even on local Lan without VPN. Unless the router managed the Machine Name resolution. Which confirms all you need now is a VPN tunnel which Hamachi does for you using the free version and gives ACT what it needs a VPN Static IP associated to each PC. Also Hamachi / Logmein Free products give you more access and control to remote manage the PC sites unlike creating your own limited secure VPN.

JM

Nickel Contributor

Please allow me to correct a point I made earlier, whichere I incorrectly placed a forward slash before the port number.

To properly test your sync service remotely, type the following into your browser's address line:

http://<your domain, dynamic DNS, or IP address>:65100

Please test again. If you have trouble, we can assist remotely, but I think you'll find the support plans a good dea, as well.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca