Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

birthday list

Tuned Listener

birthday list

Is it possible to sort in ascending order by birthdate.  It appears we must re-format the birthdate to show the day either 1st or last!  The help desk said it could not be done Case #11369760.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Mark

Copper Contributor

Re: birthday list

Try this:

Goto Reports | Edit Template...

Open the Birthday List.rep file

Select Edit | Define Sectionis

Click on Section 1

Change the value for Fields: from Contact to Birth Date.

This will change the sort for the section from Contact (name) to Birth Date.

Enjoy your new sorted report.

(If you want it sorted in reverse order, change Sorting from Ascending to Descending.)

Tuned Listener

Realnobody,

I tired this and it sorts them randomly.  It's not by month or year.  I would like to sort by month and not based on age (sorted by year).  Do you know of any way to do this?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

With a date field, the only sorting option is going to be chronologically. If you wanted to sort by the month, then you would need to use a character field for the birthdate.

There is a process you can use to move your birthdate data from the current date field to a new character field without experiencing data loss. Basically it involves exporting the contacts to a .csv file, changing the column format for the birthday column in the .csv to m/dd/yy format, then importing those values back into your database and into a newly created character field for the birthdate.

When doing the import, make sure that duplicate checking for the database is enabled, and that you choose the Merge option.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Greig,

I ended up using the annual event function.  It allowed me to seach those dates the way I wanted to.  In order to print out something, I am sure I would turn it into a lookup and print out. 

I may use your idea for exporting though.  It may make the task a little less time consuming and allow me to sort the way I want to.

Is there a way to let one field to another?  Kind of like using the "=" sign in excel - so what you enter in cell a1 will be the same value in b1.  I could then enter the date in the date field and have the character field popluate with the date.

Thanks

Rusty

Platinum Elite Contributor

Auto-filling a field based on the value of another field is not currently a function in ACT!, but there are a couple of third-party add-on products that can do this:

Auto Fill Fields

Automatic Field Calculations

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.