Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

backup problem with attachments

Copper Contributor

backup problem with attachments

Hello,

I keep running into an error when I try to backup with attachments on the server where the ACT database resides.

I get variations of:

Errors: Failed to log into the database. An IO exception occurred while reading from or writing to the zip file.
Type: Xceed.Zip.ZipArchive
FullName: \
Zip file: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\tmp2223.tmp

the tmp file is different, and I have cleared out that folder, with the same results.

This error happens whether I manually or automatically backup.

This error does NOT happen on a nother computer, or when I don't backup attachemtns.

My attachments folder is huge.  Is there anyway to divide them?

thanks

Copper Contributor

Re: backup problem with attachments

wow, this must be a tough one

i should have mentioned that i did all the ACT diag clean up stuff

reindex, cleanup, etc

any ideas?

thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Which version of Act! are you running and how large is your attachment folder? First guess is that you may be exceeding the size limit for a Zip file (since it works when attachments not included). Secondly - check the amount of space available on your C drive.
For the backup made on the other machine - test if it was actually successful by restoring that zip file using File > Restore > Database > Restore As option to create a new database name (not overwrite existing). Then check file sizes for attachments and ADF.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

10 01:30 PM

Which version of Act! are you running and how large is your attachment folder? First guess is that you may be exceeding the size limit for a Zip file (since it works when attachments not included). Secondly - check the amount of space available on your C drive.
For the backup made on the other machine - test if it was actually successful by restoring that zip file using File > Restore > Database > Restore As option to create a new database name (not overwrite existing). Then check file sizes for attachments and ADF.
thanks for the response
version is 12.0.409
attachment folder is 14.9 GB
The database and folder and the place where I want to attach it are not on my C drive -C drive is small and only has 10G available.
I haven't restored yet from the other computer.  What do you folks recommend with an attachments folder so large?
thanks again

When the backup is being run, it will create a temp file on the C drive until the information is packaged > then it will create the actual *zip file in the desired location. I believe this is why it works on one machine and not the other (running out of space on the primary machine C drive).
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

ok that makes sense - is there a way to change where that temp file happens?

thanks

Unfortunately there isn't a way to change where the temp file is created.
Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

so what options do i have?

thanks for the help

Basically 3 options:

1. Clear additional space on your C: drive

2. Run the backup from a workstation (not a fan of this option because it requires the data to cross a network - but as long as you test restoring your backups frequently (to a new db name) to ensure integrity of the zip files, it is a viable option)

3. Continue backup without attachments through ACT! and use alternate/manual process to backup/copy the 'database files' folder.  The 'database files' folder is not locked by SQL and can be copied by any backup program.

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

It is concerning that Sage provide an automated backup utility but do not provide for any facility to email administrators that backup has failed ( or completed). As a consequence it is easy to setup a backup schedule and believe it is functioning.

The problem with insufficient disk space is only one reason for a backup failing to run.

I know that 3rd party poducts are available to monitor and signal on a failure to backup but that does not remove the necessity for Sage to urgently address this short coming in their own product.

It isn't that complex for Sage to sort this out - come on Sage this is an important data security issue - let's see it happen please.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog