Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

all of a sudden he can not sync

Tuned Listener

all of a sudden he can not sync

Hi. One of my remote database users has had no issues syncing.  In fact, his last decent sync was Friday at 4:30pm.  He next tried to sync at 7:00am the next day and ever since, when he syncs it either freezes or it never seems to end.  I'm at a loss here - anyone have any ideas I can try?  My other remote database user has not experienced any issues like this and has been successfully syncing.  I would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.  Thank you in advance.
Copper Super Contributor

Re: all of a sudden he can not sync

Various possibilities...

Are there any error messages?  Exactly how long is "never seems to end"?  Were a lot of data changes, such as an Import, Replace/Swap/Copy or other such task performed?

On the Parent/Publisher database machine, Run ActDiag.exe and click the Databases List.  Highlight then right-click the Publisher database and choose Database Reports>Sync Reports>Sync Preview Report.  This will give you an idea of what's changed since last sync completion, also a section for the last sync session (whether completed or not).

Also, ensure that the connection is ACTUALLY there when sync seems to hang.  I've personally seen my VPN go away mid-sync and the progress dialog not "know" it.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Tuned Listener

Bill, thanks for your post.

Now, all the remote database users who are trying to sync are having issues.  They are actually here in the office right now, so this is not happening via VPN. One guy did get an error message, after the sync had started and was running for a while, (ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server........). I checked and the main database was set to receive incoming syncs and the all the settings were as they should be....  Mostly though, the sync in progress status bar hits about 70% and then just stays there.....

We have recently increased the number of users; now our customer service team is using Outlook (8 people) and so all their emails are automatically attaching. However, that's been over a week now that they've been attaching, and this issue just seemed to arise this weekend. 

How long should a sync take, typically, if there 12 users (for example)?  Also, I ran the sync preview report you mentioned, but I don't know if what it tells me is a lot of info or not!!  Here is an example of Last Sync Session (sent) statistics:
Data    Never Sent    1220   368   37
Files   Completed     0         0        7
Files    Exception      241     5        0
Files    Never Sent    6         1        0
Schema  Completed  6        6       1
Totals                        1473    380    45

Platinum Elite Contributor

Maybe try this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/ysnf66

Also, are you syncing attachments? How many in the attachments folder?

Can you post the sync log?

What version of ACT! (full build from help | about)?
Copper Super Contributor

AshliMac, can you post the actual file (.txt) for the Sync Preview Report that gets written to your Desktop, please?

The 246 file Exceptions is very unusual.  To get past this point, perhaps try something like:
a) get all users out of the Publisher (Main) database.  Doing so closes the file-watcher that ACT! places on a syncing database's \Attachments folder. 
b) move the \Attachment files to another folder that you've created temporarily.
c) have that Subscriber (Remote) database attempt to sync again

If that gets you past this point of being "stuck", have the other Remote databases sync to bring them current, as well. 

Repeat step "a" above again.  Then move the files back into the \Attachments folder.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Tuned Listener

Thank you everyone for your suggestions; I'm not sure what happened (although I did reset our firewall) and there seems to be no troubles with the syncs anymore.