Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

adding new web info link with directory level security

Copper Contributor

adding new web info link with directory level security

I am trying to add a new web info link to a website that has directory level security (windows) and ACT says the page cannot be displayed.  If I click "open browser", Internet Explorer starts and the page comes up fine.  If I copy the link, I can see that there is nothing wrong with the URL.  If I change the linke to one of my other websites (with no directory level security), they display within ACT properly so I can only guess that the security is a problem.  Has anyone encountered this?  I have been unable to find anything on the forums or on the internet.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: adding new web info link with directory level security

How are you entering your user/pass credentials when using the full browser?

It used to be possible to put the user/pass in the URL, but Microsoft stopped that after IE6 ... they say it can be enabled, but not sure if that still works in later versions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834489
Copper Contributor

Mike, thank you for the response.

When I go to my website, I get a pop up box where I have to enter my user name and password.  My internet provider is hosting my website on windows server and they added the directory level security for me.  I am definitely logged into my site through Internet Explorer 9.

The link I am using is something like this. 

http://www.mysite.ca/ACT/default.aspx?clientid={ClientID}.  The ClientID is a field I added to ACT.  The ClientID is used to retrieve client data from an external database.  Even if I use http://www.mysite.ca, I still get the error message so the link is fine.  I tried some of my other websites that do not have directory level security and they work fine.

The website comes up fine when I click 'Open Browser' from the Web Info tab.  I verified the link with the Copy Link option in the Web Info tab.  I even right clicked on the error page to create a shortcut on my desktop and the shortcut works as well.  So, there is nothing wrong with the link.

I thought maybe it was a firewall problem so I turned it off but still no luck.  The page will not come up within ACT.

Hope that helps.  The error message is below,

Ron

This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:

• You are not connected to the Internet.
  • The website is encountering problems.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:

Check your Internet connection. Try
visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go
back to the previous page.

More information More
information

Platinum Elite Contributor

Two possibilities...
1. IE9 isn't yet supported in ACT!, so this might be an issue
2. As other sites work, I suspect that running in the app is blocking the popup that asks for your login. Maybe if the site changed to a forms/cookie based login (like Facebook/Linkedin/Twitter/etc it might work