Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

act premium w web vs. salesforce

Tuned Listener

act premium w web vs. salesforce

We are a long time ACT user with 5 users, 2 remote, but not syncing.

I was about to go to salesforce so we could all share the same database easily. They have a $5 mo /user plan that would work well for us. The only thing that has stopped us so far is that they don't have a way to import a complete act database easily (they can get the csv, but not history, activity and notes, which are critical to us).

Then I saw something about ACt premium have web capability. I can't find this functionality under act products on the main website, or at least it is not intuitive to where it is?

a. if it is under my nose, can someone point me to a link

b. if not, can someone tell me if this is ACT's product to what salesforce has. Does it have the ability to work when offline (critical), and from an android/iphone (critical).

I would really like to stay with ACT, I have been a user since 1990 and the DOS days...

Thanks for any help.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: act premium w web vs. salesforce

You mention a few things that are semi-critical in your decision.

First, just as an FYI, you can get all your data into SalesForce or Zoho (Salesforce clone) - Notes, History, Activities, etc.  Not out of the box, but it can be done.

Second, ACT! for Web is "bundled" in the Premium version.  If you purchase the Premium version you get the web version.  You'll need a web server on which to install it, of course.  See the Compare Products tab on this link.

Third, this is, in as much as you can compare apples to oranges, the ACT competitor to SalesForce.  It's web access to your data from anywhere, but they are very different architectures, which may not be important to you.  The fact of it being web access may be all you are interested in.

Fourth, the last two items you mention.

4a - offline.  Yes, since you still get the desktop version of ACT, you can still have sync users, and users that access it directly.  Think of the web access as an enhancement, not a replacement.  For people that need/want offline access, this is one of the big reasons they are staying with ACT! Along with it being a great program and familiarity.

4b - Android.  This one is a bit more tricky.  ACT! has a mobile option, and there are third party solutions - HandHeld Contact is a good one, Android coming soon - that put ACT on your mobile phone.  Salesforce and Zoho might have a native app, but they definitely have a mobile web site designed for smartphones.

Basically, if offline access is critical, you will stay with ACT!  You can make Android work, just maybe not today - in a few months.

Please contact me with any specific questions, I'd love to help out...

Richard Brust

rbrDataSolutions@gmail.com

http://www.rbrdatasolutions.com

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Tuned Listener

Richard,
Thanks for your quick comments.

I do realize I can get data from act into salesforce, I just need to find a choose a 3d party person to do this.

Second, one big reason I am looking at wanting salesforce is to integrate 3 separate databases that we don't sync. I tried sync over the past 7 years, and each time, it was too difficult. So having an 'entire' whole database that we can all get to would be great.

Thank you for the link, I did see this, but I don't see details on the web access. Like do I need to host this myself (no go) or what my options are, and if all my data is there, etc.

We are connected most of the time, when we travel it is nice to have data when you are not in a starbucks, but with salesforce each user can have their contacts with them.

Thanks again. Scott

Platinum Elite Contributor

To get data into the SF sub-tables (notes/hist/activities), you need the more expensive Professional or Enterprise editions.

There are many third-party hosts for ACT! web that are comparable in price to those editions and give you greater options for customisation or sync.

Most problems with sync are simply due to how it's set up ... more than anything else, I recommend getting an ACT! Consultant to do this for you.

As with Richard, I recommend Handheld Contact for iOS now and Android in a few months
Nickel Elite Contributor

Scott - 

Just a few more points:

- not sure which version you are running, but as Mike said, sync issues are usually related to a misconfiguration.  I have many companies that sync very successfully - unfortunately so successfully that they don't need my support any longer - it just runs Smiley Sad

- I did not research the link I sent very thoroughly, and I see there's not a lot of info right there.  The short answer is that you do need to host is, or subscribe to a hosting service.  I will say, however, that myself, and a few smaller companies with which I've consulted, have installed the Web server on an internal machine (two times a laptop), and made just the ACT website available outside their internal network.  Very simple, very secure, and free.  Especially if the web access is not 24/7, this is a viable option.

- if your users can get wi-fi, they will have their contacts.  If not, just plan on HandHeld Contact in the near future.  

A properly syncing environment along with occasional web access will answer most of your needs.  Once the Android app comes out, you'll be 100% mobile...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

BTW: If you want to see what ACT! looks like on the Web, see:
http://afwdemo.act.com/apfw/
User: Chris Huffman
No password

I use this host: http://glcomputing.actondemand.com/
Web access (RDP option)
Sync to local copies or (via Handheld Contact) to phones/tablets
Server ACT! licenses are included in the monthly fee (addition for local sync)
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi guys, to famously quote "you can not be serious". In a nutshell Salesforce is complete rubbish. For the the last two years I've worked for a large company who used this junk.

Simple fact is, as far as making a Salesmans job more efficient and productive, ACT! wins against Salesforce on every level. You can do everything in ACT! 10 times faster, easier and more intuitively than you can in Salesforce. Try "grouping" contacts or doing an email merge in Salesforce.

A big talking point in the Salesforce community is how they can get a higher level of adoption within a salesforce. Hmm... not really surprising that sales people don't use it when, compared to ACT! it's *rubbish*. Give ACT! to a salesman for a week, then try to take it off him.... Not a chance, why? Because he can see it really makes a difference, makes his job easier and more productive.

I've just moved to a new company, where I've introduced ACT!2012. The Google integration is fantastic, so all the sales guys have their appointments and contact details on their Android smartphones.

Don't even think of using Salesforce, get ACT!2012 and get selling!!

[edit: word replaced per Community guidelines]