Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Z_Msg_dotNetFail error message

Z_Msg_dotNetFail error message

I get the Following message when I tried to install the Downloaded ACT 2008 Premium file on a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with an Admin user account.

Error message: Z_Msg_dotNetFail

Has anyone encountered this problem.
Copper Contributor

Re: Z_Msg_dotNetFail error message

Hello,

Z_Msg_dotNetFail is an identifier for an InstallShield custom string resource.  This likely means that the installer could not find that string message for some reason. 

But more to your actual problem... it sounds like ACT!'s installer thinks that .Net failed to install.  Have you tried installing .Net manually and then running the ACT! install again?  You can find the .Net install within the ACT! CD media... or, go to Google and search for ".Net Framework 2.0" and the top listing should be Microsoft's download page.

HTH,
jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Copper Contributor

Hi Jason,

I have the same problem on two of my cpu. I tried re-installing Microsoft Framework like you said but still got the same error message.

Any more idea ?

thx
Copper Contributor

A number of things... First, ACT! checks if the .Net Framework 2.0 is installed.  Specifically, it looks at the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\.NETFramework\\policy\\v2.0.50727

If not present, it tries to copy the installer for it from the CD media to your system to run the install.

Several problems appear to be happening.  First, it seems like ACT! thinks you don't have .Net, specifically the 2.0 version of the .Net Framework.  Maybe you manually installed a newer version like 3.x?  Try manually installing 2.0.

Second, once this is determined the ACT! installer is failing to copy "dotnetfx.exe".  It appears this is a straight-up defect.  Prior versions of ACT! included "dotnetfx.exe" on the CD but I don't see it in the 10.01 media.

Third, once ACT!'s installer detects that the copy failed, it tries to warn you about it with a message string named "Z_Msg_dotNetFail" which seems to be missing from the installer string table. Another defect. You should also see "Unable to copy dotnetfx.exe." in the ACT! installer log under C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ACTInstLog.

I'm talking to some guys on the team to get this addressed.  In the meantime, if my analysis is correct, you should be able to get around this by manually installing the .Net Framework v2.  This would also explain why most people aren't running into the issue as most people already have .Net 2.0.  Certainly anyone upgrading from ACT! 7+ does.

HTH,
jason

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Platinum Elite Contributor

eduport and sdeveley,

If you have the time, can you try this install procedure. It installs the Microsoft components seperately and actually gives the cleanest install possible:

Uninstall any version of ACT! in in the Windows Control Panel Add/Remove programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) in the Control Panel
Uninstall MS SQL from Control Panel if it's still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework from MS web site (only for XM, not Vista)- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10 and 10.01 patch
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

If any step fails, post back with which step and the exact error.
Copper Contributor

Upon further review...

The only way I can reproduce the defect I suggested above is to remove the ACT! install media from the parent CD Browser media.  At the root of the CD Browser media is a folder called Dependencies which contains dotnetfx.exe.  If this is not available at the exact correct path I can reproduce the error you guys are describing.

If you are installing from a genuine ACT! install CD this should never happen.  Are you perhaps trying to install from a network or local copy of the ACT! media?

The string Z_Msg_dotNetFail is a defect that will hopefully be addressed very soon. It's understandable that it wasn't caught in functionality testing (although a good unit test should have found it).

Bottom line... if you install from something like:
    ACT! by Sage Premium (ST Edition) CD1\ACTWG\setup.exe
then you need to be sure that dotnetfx.exe is located at the following relative path:
    ACT! by Sage Premium (ST Edition) CD1\Dependencies\dotnetfx.exe

Or, again, manually install .Net 2.0 before installing ACT! - this should also get around this defect.  Finally, try Mike's excellent clean-install routine.

jason

p.s. Thanks to the ACT! guys who jumped in and helped out with this!
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your help.  I have not try your last recommandations instead I buy a new cpu and everything is ok now.

But Jason, I did install .net framework 2.0 before and it change nothing... after that I buy the new cpu.

Thanks for your help.

Sebastien
Copper Contributor

Thanks for letting us know Sebastien... I only wish we could suggest that solution to everyone! Smiley Wink

jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

I used the original CD and tried to simulate the problem you guys were getting. 

The problem that I have noticed with this particular installation string is that MySQL 2005 is searching for (already existing withing Windows installation) WinInstaller 3.1.  There is no need to purchase a new CPU, only get your Installer fixed Smiley Happy 

What you will see in your temp ACT! log file is:

Beginning Install - OnBegin():

Launching Shared_ProjTasks_CheckUnSupportedOS()

Done Launching Shared_ProjTasks_CheckUnSupportedOS()

Setting the main global variabls

Done setting the main global variabls

Unable to copy WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe.

Hence, to remedy Z_Msg_dotNetFail error message you have to go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&Displa... and download a NEW WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe.
Simple as that - install it, reboot and install ACT! again.  Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

troubleshooter,

Wondering 2 things:

• Unless your WinInstaller was damaged, how did you replicate it? 
  • Why would you think a new CPU wouldmake it work (would the new CRM update WinInstaller)?