Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Write menu / Headed letter template opens word without a document the first, but works on second try!

Write menu / Headed letter template opens word without a document the first, but works on second try!

Hi Guys,

We have had to reinstall a customer's PC - same process as we have done on a number machines on the site before :

Sage Act Premium 2012 14.1.108.0

Microsoft Office Standard 2010 (Word 14.0.4760.100 (32bit)

on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit PC

And then a customised Headed Letter template is added to the Write menu, and is a copy of the same template that is used on the other PC's.

The only problem is when you click Write / Headed Letter

Word opens up, but with no document !

Then if you click Write / Headed Letter again, the template comes up and works fine.

I have tried an office repair, which didn't help.

I can't help thinking there must be an easy answer to this, but I cannot work it out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Write menu / Headed letter template opens word without a document the first, but works on second try!

First question is about the location of the template - not sure why you have a copy on each workstation. It should be seen in the shared template folder.  Maybe there is a delay opening it.

the other thing to try is to delete the normal.dot file and let Word rebuild it. It may be having trouble opening it and that is causing the delay

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Re: Write menu / Headed letter template opens word without a document the first, but works on second try!

Thanks for the reply.

The set up is such that each user has a database locally on their PC's and synchronises with the main database.

They don't really use a data share, as 2 of the 3 users are remote to the server. They have always had the Letter template on their C drives and never seemed to have been an issue previously.

I don't recall if have already tried the normal.dot thing, so will give this a go tomorrow.

Many thanks for the advise.

s

Administrator

Another thing to try after normal.dot, would be re-registering redemption.dll. The process is listed as the workaround in this article.