Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Word template help

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Word template help

We use a number of Word templates with ACT and they are quite helpful. However, we have discovered that some of the features don't work. For  example, drop down lists do not work when we put them in ACT form. Is there a way to make them work?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎10-06-2015 08:38 AM
Employee

Re: Word template help

Thank you.

When copy/pasting from an existing Word document into a template for Act! it will not copy over the advanced formatting features for use with an Act! template.

The dropdown list is a 'Developer' option within Word, and is unable to translate into an Act! template. There's currently no workaround from within Act that would be able to resolve this.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]
Hi cclark,

When you say that drop down lists do not work, do you mean that data from a drop down field in an Act record does not merge into the word document?

What version of Microsoft Office and Act are you using?
Copper Contributor

Correct. We were given a form by our funder to use an the drop down changes to a single field with the 1st item only. Word 2010

Employee

Hello CClark,

I'd like to clarify exactly where the problem is coming from. You mentioned you were given a form by your funder to use. In what format is the form in (Word document, Excel spreadsheet) and where is the dropdown list that you're having trouble with.

If you're able to attach a screenshot, or a link to an image of your problem, it may help get to the bottom of the problem asap.

Kind regards

Copper Contributor

It's a simple drop down in a Word template. You click the button and there are a bunch of choices. When I put the form into ACT, the drop down goes away and the 1st choice is there as text. Plus, I noticed when I try to put fields into Headers in doesn't work either.

Employee

Ok, thank you.

Could I ask how you are putting this document into Act?

Copper Contributor

Through the edit template function. (I have found creating new ones from scratch is a horrible experience!)

Platinum Elite Contributor

The dropdown you're referring to likely uses a Word macro to create the dropdown. An ACT! Word template also uses Word macros to make the attachment to the ACT! database. In the past and I suspect is still true, Word wouldn't accommodate multiple sets of Word macros. I suspect that when the ACT! macros in Word become active the Word macros for the dropdown are disabled,

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎10-06-2015 08:38 AM
Employee

Thank you.

When copy/pasting from an existing Word document into a template for Act! it will not copy over the advanced formatting features for use with an Act! template.

The dropdown list is a 'Developer' option within Word, and is unable to translate into an Act! template. There's currently no workaround from within Act that would be able to resolve this.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your help