Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Word Merge Field Time/Date Formatting?

Copper Contributor

Word Merge Field Time/Date Formatting?

I have tried in the past to format the ACT Merge fields in Word to no avail and have decided to revisit this problem now ACT has matured. Basically I want to insert an ACT time/date field into word and instead of formating the standard way ACT does of 01/01/01 12:00:00 I need it to be displayed as 1st January 2001 at 12oclock. I have tried showing the field codes (ALT F9) and then editing the field code with the relevent formating after, but then the merge field breaks. Is there no way of doing this without getting into macros and VB? Its very tedious sending letters out everyday and having to alter the time and date by hand? It kind of defeats the whole purpose of the mail merge function?

Any Ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Word Merge Field Time/Date Formatting?

Have you tried changing the default date format in the system regional settings?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Iv tried changing the regional settings on the short date format to the correct format and it doesnt make any difference to the merged output or the field within ACT. The long date format is set correctly.

any other ideas? Smiley Sad

Bronze Contributor

I just tested this by adding the Create Date to a template from database and then where it has \*MERGEFORMAT I changed this to \@"dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy h:mm am/pm" and this gave me the following result Monday, June 27, 2005 12:00AM

Hope this helps

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

I have tried this again and again and also with the Create Date field. Could you give me the exact DOCVARIABLE Line you have. Mine is as follows

{ DOCVARIABLE [ACTFIELD]TBL_CONTACT.CREATEDATE \@"dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy h:mm am/pm" } 

all I get when I merge from ACT is <field> in the document as text. Im also using Word 2003 are you using anthing difference?

Hello,  I just joined this forum today and noticed your post.  Here's a two-part solution for your Word switch dilemma that I hope works for you... 

31st July 2008 at 3 oclock = { DATE  \@ "d" \*Ordinal"  \* MERGEFORMAT } { DATE  \@ "MMMM yyyy 'at' h 'oclock'"  \* MERGEFORMAT }  
Copper Contributor

Not sure youve tried that from a merge in ACT. I know how to normally format fields from within word but ACT seems to remove the field on the merge and convert to plain text meaning no formatting is possible. This is what im trying to overcome without first formatting the date/time in ACT somehow before the merge.

Yes, I edited the ACT! 2008 Premium standard Fax template.  Word 2007 is the default processor.

Copper Contributor

Im wondering then whether Word 2007 does something that Word 2003 doesnt. I will have to try it on this version and see if it works as I definatley cant get it to work on 2003.

JM
Nickel Contributor

Did you ever get solution I have same issue not knowing the string.  I also have Office 2003 Word it that matters.

JM