Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows Server 2008 R2 vs Windows 7 For running Act Premium (web)

Copper Contributor

Windows Server 2008 R2 vs Windows 7 For running Act Premium (web)

Guys/Gals and Certified Reps,

Im running the latest ACT v16 (premimum) and service pack as of this post.

Just bought a dedicated Quad core (exceeds requirements) computer to run ACT V16 and use pad files to access the database with our other desktops, laptops and for mobile devices (iphone/ipads) use the mobile (web).

I still have NOT installed the Operating System (OS) and price is not an issue. I can install Win 7 or Windows 2008 R2 or even Windows Server 2012.

Besides the ability to have more than 10 user with IIS server. What are the Pros and Cons of using Windows Server vs Windows 7 when running ACT v16 premium with the environment/setup  I want to have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 vs Windows 7 For running Act Premium (web)

Really, the only con is the inability to have more than 10 connections to that machine. As long as you have Windows 7 Professional or higher and don't have more than 10 people who need to connect to that machine at a time, you shouldn't have a problem setting this up.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 vs Windows 7 For running Act Premium (web)

Elsie,

I don't have a problem setting it up.

I have been an ACT user since ACT 6.0 and have installed ACT for myself, friends and clients.

Currently I installed ACT v16 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

More than likely I am choosing Server 2008 because it is not limited to 10 users and the control. From what I have read, Server 2008 HTTP is not throttled. 

"So what are the basic differences between Workstation/Professional and the Server versions of the operating systems? First, the Server versions are pre-set and biased to processing background tasks over fore-ground, which can make IIS operate faster… but this can be reconfigured on the workstation version to get pretty close. More importantly, the Workstations versions can only support 10 concurrent users. Considering the hits from other random internet traffic, this can limit you to 6-8 concurrent users accessing your ACT! database on the internet. So, if looking for reliable connections for more than 5 users, you will need to use the Server versions."

(Source- Mike Lazaraus " "IIS5 Install and Lockdown"

So with the cost of Windows Server 2008 on EBAY, comparable 7 Ultimate it was an easy decision.

My concern at the moment is Security and hardening Server 2008r2 and keeping ACT For Web. I have experience with Apache Servers but not Windows. 

I downloaded Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) for scannning and I know that I can use Security Configuration Wizard (SCW) for setting. But my knowledge in this OS is limited.

Does anyone care to share the  minimal Windows Services needed to run ACT and some SCW settings?