Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 7 and ACT

Copper Contributor

Windows 7 and ACT

I'm having an issue I just cannot understand.   I have a brand-new laptop, windows 7.
I installed sage act premium 2011 and a week ago, it's been running flawlessly since than.   I do have it sync'ed and with outlook 2010.

Then yesterday ACT will not even start up, "ACT Failed to Start".   Finally I had to reinstall ACT and a couple of hot fixes.  Still ACT and will not even startup.  

After reading a couple of comments on the forum, they recommended to start ACT and outlook in the XP mode.  I did that and now all seems to be running just fine now.

Why does ACT work fine for a week and then just refuse to start?   Any know conflict between Wdw 7 and ACT Sage Prem 2011?    Just trying to understand what happened, can anyone clue me in?   Jim

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Windows 7 and ACT

I have to suspect a system problem. I've been running all version of ACT! 2010 and later on Windows 7 without any problems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Ray:  Brand new system and ACT was the first program that I installed, I would not expect any issues at this point.   And for the first week it ran flawlessly.   As I mentioned I am running both ACT 2011 Prem and Outlook 2010 in XP mode.   Not sure what this means?   Does it mean that my system is running these programs in some sort of slower work-around mode?    Do I get them off the XP mode and into Windows 7 mode as soon as I can?     Or am I OK just as it is?  Can you comment please.   Thanks Jim 

While it's a new system, everything is pointing to a system problem, probably with Windows 7. XP mode means that you're effectively running in a virtual machine, not really Windows 7. I know this is painful but I suspect that you need to backup your data and reinstall Windows 7 and your other programs.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Right click on the ACT icon.

Select Properties

On compatibility select Change Settings for all users.

Tick run in compatibility mode and select windows7

At the bottom also tick run as administrator.

Try this and see if it works.

Copper Contributor

Roy:   PCWorld has an article about doing a Windows 7 repair install, thus avoiding to reload all the programs or data.  Will a repair install suffice, or is a full reinstall necessary?   Jim

Definitely worth a try. If it works you save a lot of grief. I had forgot about that option even though I used it on XP. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Roy:   I am going to do a bit more reading to get some idea if the repair install will work, or if it needs to be the full install.  Thanks for your comments.  Jim

Now that you nudged my memory, what the repair install does is restore a new copy of any system files that appear to be damaged. I don't know if it does anything for the registry.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Lets define "NEW" 

Most Laptops / desktops come loaded with preinstalled software. I dont consider this "CLEAN", "Fresh" or "NEW" Its tainted from the start and not a Virgin install of Windows.

You can use Sysinternals "Procmon"  to see what is happenening under the hood.  http://live.sysinternals.com