Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 64-bit Information for ACT! by Sage users

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Windows Bit Information for ACT! By Sage users

[ Edited ]

ACT! Internet Sync is not compatible with Vista Home Premium Edition.  The installation will exit out messaging that is not compatible.  Vista versions that it are compatible:

Business

Enterprise

Ultimate

Home Premium only contains a subset of the required IIS components in which to run.  Note that it does NOT use IIS 7.0, rather it uses IIS 6 Compatibility.

-Matt

Message Edited by MMcFadden on 01-17-2009 09:42 AM
Matthew McFadden
Platinum Elite Contributor

Tuned Listener

Thank you for solving this mystery.
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 64-bit Information for ACT! by Sage users

I'd love to hear from all of you who have Act Premium 2009.  Does anyone use it with Act/Peachtree accounting link?  We upgraded our server to 64 bit OS, so I must get this version soon.  Unless I have time to network it across the internet.

thanks!Smiley Happy

FYI

We just installed win2k8 64bit and have QB2009 and ACT2009 running on a dell poweredge2950 w/8gRAM and 3-1tb sata drives in raid 5 and it has been a nightmare.  We have seen physical memory cache run up over 5gb along with a memory creep up to 800mb for sqlserver.exe*32 before the system crashes and it is very consitent about doing so. We are now selectively running programs, so far QB2009 does not have problems, when ACT is started, it intializes with 1.2gb physical memory cached and 114mb for sqlserver.exe,*32 this is with no users opening the ACT client. I have ACT technicians give me answers like "that's not a problem" or "memory creep shouldn't be a concern, that's normal" but when it comes to loosing 10's of thousands of dollars due to down time everytime, and we have had daily crashes, it is a problem. If you have trouble believing this post, then call me, my name is Scott Kennedy, I am the systems administrator and my work number is 248-448 5649 I will be happy to show you what I am talking about and also challange any of the ACT techs reading this post to fix it.

Copper Elite Contributor

I have 7 users on our system running 2009 11.0.  The server is a dedicated server hosted by godaddy.  I was having similar problems with the memory thing and finally crashing. Please tell me this:

1) Have you made any large changes to the data?  One thing that was causing these problems for me was that about every 6 weeks I'd import 25,000 new records into the database. I have over 400 custom fields. ACT would crap out because when we tried to sync, it would go through all of the 25,000 x 400 changes even though those 25,000 records were not being synced to anyone. They are just contacts that have yet to turn into prospects.  I now keep the contacts that are not yet prospects in a seperate local ACT DB and export them over only as they become prospects. But, if you've performed any other kinds of large data changes, you could have a similar problem.

2) Are you using attachments?  If so, and if any users are opening those attachments, changing them, but not saving them with a new name, that might be an issue. I've not confirmed it, but I think that can send ACT into a loop.

How many contacts to you have in the DB?  How many custom fields?

Hi,

We've just purchased Act Premium 2009 and want to load it on a hosted goDaddy site.  Can you please tell me how the overall experience with goDaddy has been? Have you had any other performance issues? Do we have to pay for a dedicated server in order to get the install completed?  The tech support at goDaddy has not always been very helpful.   

Copper Elite Contributor

Godaddy has been wonderful. I did the dedicated server. For the little extra, I recommend it. Not sure what the limitations mean if it isn't dedicated. I had to reboot my server several times while trying to trouble shoot some ACT issues. If it's not a dedicated server, I don't think you can do that. I upgraded to the one that had more RAM. I started with the one that had 1 GB.  I love the 24/7 operations there.

Thank you so much for the quick response!  Can I ask if you're using a virtual dedicated server or is a physical one and is it Windows? 
Copper Elite Contributor

It's Windows. Don't know the difference between virtual and physical. I believe it is physical. I have a unique IP address for it. When I upgraded, they had to assign me a new IP as it was a new machine.