Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Win Server 2003 vs. Windows XP Pro?

Copper Super Contributor

Win Server 2003 vs. Windows XP Pro?

Given a choice of Win Server 2003 vs. Windows XP Pro as the underlying OS for running ACT! Premium for Web, which operating system would have the lowest overhead/use of resources to enable best/fastest performance? Advantages of one over another? Are they someone equivalent in terms of benefits, or is one hands-down better than the other. Note: security is not as much an issue to us as processing performance both internally on the sever and the user experience for the person logged in via browser.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Win Server 2003 vs. Windows XP Pro?

XP IIS is restriced to one website.  If you have more than 5 or 6 users use server.

Tom
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks.  I have only one site and 2 users. 

What about server performance and/or resource usage by one OS vs. another.  Which is leaner/meaner?  Or are they the same since they are really flavours of the same core OS?
Platinum Elite Contributor

For 2 users, a decent machine (RAM, Processor, fast HDD) and nothing else running on the machine, you'd be unlikely to see much difference between the 2 operating systems.

W2K3 is optimised for better server operations, but this is unlikely to show for only 2 or 3 users.

PS: Make sure it's XP Pro, not XP Home

I use Server 2003. If you are able to view ACT from the Internet please contact me. I can't get it to work.
Copper Super Contributor

Actually, you can't run Act for Web on WP XP Home.  Has to be XP Pro.  Home version is missing several server elements.  (And this is all specified in the system requirements doc.)
Copper Super Contributor

If you are still in warranty (60 days from purchase), I believe Sage will walk you through basic setup.  From my experience, you have to follow the admin guide carefully and ensure that your database is enabled to the SQL server (part of the program)...in other words, there are several steps to ensure your database is viewable.  Are you pointing your browser to the correct IP address or domain?  Firewall running on server and configured to allow access?
Platinum Elite Contributor

roban1 wrote:
I use Server 2003. If you are able to view ACT from the Internet please contact me. I can't get it to work.

I use Win Server 2003 and access my ACT! Prem for Web all the time.