Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Will there ever be a Mac version of ACT ?

Copper Elite Contributor

Will there ever be a Mac version of ACT ?

Hello. As Mac has entered mainstream and gaining marketshare,...will Sage ever deveope a Mac version? I do understand that ACT runs on SQL and needs a PC OS,..but as times are changing will they ever consider OSX?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Will there ever be a Mac version of ACT ?

Mac has just reach 10% total market share for the first time last month ... but it's is still only about 3% of the business market.

Of course, there is Handheld Contact for iOS, but that's a very different thing.

My guess is that, in 2-3 years, they will have largely moved to a web-based system that won't care about the local OS

I believe a good compromise would be to write a propper ios app with xcode, this could then be compiled for osx.  With the marketshare iPads have and the amount of iPads used by travelling sales people this would be a welcome addition.  Further if you use an iPad or iPhone and use the web based solution it is not a great experience.  There has been no attempt to make these look at home and feel familiar with the os.  Maybe it is familiar for long time Act! users but if they want to grow their userbase I believe that writing an application to fit nicely with the os helps a new user feel at home and give them confidence within the application.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Handheld Contact is a proper iOS app ... and it works much better than the web app
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike,

I agree with you. Cloud based solutions will be the answer. No SQL issues,...software will always be current,......ect.

It has been one year without Sage (ACT!). I have switched to Marketcircle's Daylite 4. Switching off of ACT to DL4 gave me the equivilent felleing of losing my wallet at first. Everything I knew about CRM I learned from ACT. This was a scary move.

Since then,...there are features that I really miss, but making suggstions to Marketcircle has been amazing. With every update (typically monthly), they add new features and benefits. 

Do I miss ACT,....YES!    Do I miss PC issues,........NO !!!!! 

Lastly,....almost every business partner I deal with is using an iPad for work.  Sage needs to take their head out of the sand and develop an OSX based version (again) or purchase Marketcircle (the leader in Mac CRM). 

Mike,...you have always been a very vaulable feature of these boards. You have helped many people through Sage issues. Thank you again for your past help.

Everyone have a Happy Thankgiving Holiday.

Brian

It would be great if ACT's new owners looked to make a true cross platform tool. Maybe swap out Microsoft SQL with MySQL, moved .Net to C, however I'm no programmer so what do I know. But as we see PC sales stall and tablets and smart phones continue grow, I feel ACT need to address this in house. Windows, OS X, Android & iOS. With a product like ACT, salespeople need it I. the field on their tablets and phones and office sales need this on their desktops. Further, managers may want to use laptop at home. Act's current solution for mobile requires access to the internet. I think it is vital to have a local copy on mobile that syncs. Please ACT look at how your customers and prospective client base want to access their data. Please look to the future. Facebook gave up on their HTML5 offering and made OS specific apps, please do the same and use html as a fallback not your solution.