Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Will Act! (Non-cloud) allow connection via the internet to home computer?

Will Act! (Non-cloud) allow connection via the internet to home computer?

I have Act! on my Windows Server in my office and would like to be able to connect to it outside of work from my laptop.

Is this possible?

If so how do I connect to it from outside the office?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Will Act! (Non-cloud) allow connection via the internet to home computer?

There are 2 ways, so as you have posted on this forum do you have ACT for WEB installed on the server or just Premium?

If web then you can arrange for the database to be accessed from the laptop as a web service.

(NB: The premium version comes with the option of installing ACT for WEB on your own server.)

Advantage is that you do not need a full version of ACT on your laptop. Disadvantage is that you must be connected to the internet to see the database.

If just premium you can install ACT on your laptop and then make a sync copy of the server database and add it to your laptop. 

You can now access the database on your laptop and you will need to sync the laptop remote to the server copy on a regular basis to keep both up-to-date.

Sync can be set via a Lan connection or an internet connection.

Lastly if allowed consider a remote connection to the server like RDP or Aeroadmin so you can access the sever from home.

Will expand on the options once I understand what you have on the server and what you are allowed to do in your work place.

Thank you for the reply. It is Act Premium that I have.

If you could advise further that would be great, I've attempted to set it up myself but not getting very far.

The instructions are not clear to me. Remote computer - is that the server, or the computer I want to connect 'from' in to the server database?

I have a server in an office with my ACT database and want to synchronise the database via the internet with ACT and Outlook on my laptop that I use at home, and out and about.

How do I set up the server to allow the connection?

How do I add the database to the network sync application, it only offers options to look for a PAD file on my network, which it's not as is via the internet.