Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why is ACT so bug-ridden?

Tuned Listener

Why is ACT so bug-ridden?

I mean really, every day I hit wall after wall due to bug and suffer so much lost productivity.

Is there an official method for reporting them?

Although the cynic in me thinks they like them, because it means they can justify support contracts.

Amazingly I emailed them about a broken link on their website, and they told me I'd need to buy a support contract to report the dead link! (No, that's really not a joke!)

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Why is ACT so bug-ridden?

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your installation.  Without a support contract to contact the Act! support team directly, you can post issues you are having with the Act! program to the Community.  This will give us an opportunity to follow up on it and offer a resolution or confirm it as an issue with the program (and submit it to the Development group to be addressed).  If it is a feature that is not contained within the program, you can visit the Share Your Ideas Forum and submit a feature request.

I will need some additional information to follow up on the response you received from the email you sent us, such as: which web page contains the broken link and what process did you use to send the email (for example: was it a Contact US option)?

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Sorry Greg. Ran into so many issues I got frustrated. The post wasn't productive.

They have fixed the link now.

I will be talking to our ACT representative to try and solve the issues.

Thanks.

Copper Contributor

A quick link from Act to report bugs would be a good idea. Or even to be able to copy the error messages in cut and paste instead of having to retype some of the obtuse references, that do not show up as searchable in these forums.

Frankly, I am shocked that a program that has been out there as long as this has so many unresolved issues. You can see them in this Act Community where issues going back to 2008 stil show up. And there are so many little quirks like shift arrow key and control arrow key do opposite things on Reports and Tabs, or being able to run reports in currency format with decimals/cents or just as a general number without commas. That's strange. A report should be able to display whole dollars. I could go on and on, but it's Friday night.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The reports cna display numbers any way you want. Some can be chosen directlry others require a VB scriipt.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

im new to this program. Act has lots of problems?? as in crashes and bugs?? if your all saying that just after purchasing im not going to have direct support, and that i am going to have to subscribe for it? someone from act needs to respond to me directly, as im not going to get deep into data enetering only to have a ton of program problems. thanks

JM
Nickel Contributor

Do yourself a favor invest in having an ACT ACC get your system setup.  This is not an out of the box product because it has grown with so many features and those bugs you run into the ACC will know how to avoid them or find work arounds usng 3rd party add-on's.  You won't be waisting money because you will learn what they setup and than maintain it and prevent othters doing things that will create problems.  ACT is still cost effective even hiring someone and has a ton of people supporting and developing for it.  Which means you can change ACC if you don't like them or they go away.

JM

Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hometown,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Considering the diverse environments (personalized computers) on which the ACT! program is installed, there are times when a customer can have issues.  To assist with these issues there is a 30-Warranty support plan provided with the purchase of the program.  You can contact Technical Support directly (by phone or chat) during that timeframe at no charge. 

When the warranty period expires, you would need to purchase a support plan to directly contact our Technical Support group.  The basic 2 options are 'Pay-Per-Call' or 'Annual' support.  In addition to these options, no-charge self support services are available as the Community and Knowledgebase articles.

Greg Martin
Sage
JM
Nickel Contributor

To all;

I did have and used ALLOT the two year support plans which helped a bunch to create my custom needs, but if money is tight I still think directing those funds hiring an ACC is money well spent.  Unless you have plenty of time learning the ins/outs of ACT on your own, you don't need to focus on Sales, and don't' have a boss down your neck why are things failing after buying licenses?

Look at the Forums how many customers login and complain about ACT and working with a good ACC, not many?

I'm not trying to push work for the ACC groups to make them money, but point out THERE is allot of things to be gained compared to doing it yourself.  Don't worry after its all setup there is still enough work to maintain and modify it on your own if you need it.

Look for an ACC that can demonstrate business workflow processes, lead generation imported to Databases to filter down and how to maximize your time using ACT rather then just a techie that can create what you want.

JM