Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why doesn''t the Layout from the Main databse appear the same on the Remote Database??

Why doesn''t the Layout from the Main databse appear the same on the Remote Database??

I have created a desing layout ont he main databse that i want the remote database to be able to use but the layout doesn't change althought the field data does. For instance i creat a field called POSITION with a drop down of options. Now when i sync the database remotely the field POSITION doesn't appear.

When i change the postions of the fields, they do not change when the remote db syncs.

Any ideas why this isn't happening or isn't it supposed to?

thanx from a real novice in ACT

Re: Why doesn''t the Layout from the Main databse appear the same on the Remote Database??

Yes, the layout will change when syncing if you created the remote database to sync supplemental files.  You can also email or attach the layout to an contact and have the end user save it to their layout folder.

Re: Why doesn''t the Layout from the Main databse appear the same on the Remote Database??

Yes,

nice one thanks, it does sync properly and change the layout. No idea what i was doing wrong.

thanks

Copper Elite Contributor

I had the same problem today and was scratching my head on what was wrong. I changed the layout on the Main database, checked the sync settings and saw that supplemental files were, in fact, selected, and still didn't have the layout. Then I finally figured out that I didn't have the right layout selected in my view. DOH! At least it's fixed now. I'm still on the way steep part of the learning curve.  Smiley Surprised
Bronze Super Contributor

The other thing that can happen here if you create a new layout field is that after the sync it may not show in the list of available layouts on the remote system.  This may lead you to believe sync didn't work, but this is usually not the  case.  Close Act! on the remote system and re-open, and typically the new layout will now be listed and can be selected.

It would appear that Act! only refreshes the list of available layouts after certain events.  What they are is not apparent.  But the one time that Act! always checks for the available layouts is when you open the program.

PS - this can happen on the system you created the new layout on also.  Use the same technique.